Is this okay???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlover09, Jul 24, 2014.

1. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chirping

Jul 17, 2014
    Hi everyone!

Long story short, the bigger chicks can't live inside anymore. It didn't really help the situation either, when we found beakers had flown out of the brooder and was running around the living room (several rooms away from where their brooder was!). Had to scrub down the floor as we let our rabbits run around the house and didn't want them getting sick from her poop.

Is it safe for the 2 big chicks (not my silkies) to live outside in their coop? It's right outside my house, so i'll be able to check on them easily and frequently. All this week, the weather is in the high 80 F during the day, and low to high 70 F at night, with a constant low ocean breeze.

There are squirels here, but I don't think that they could fit through the coop. There are also sometimes racoons at night, but i'm going to put a big box in the coop so they can hide in it. They'd have a big feeder for food and one for water.

Also, is it okay to seperate the herd? The 2 silkie chicks are too small to go in the coop (they can run through the bars). The 2 silkies would still live in the brooder for a couple more weeks, but we are moving the big chicks outside today.

The two silkies are 15 days old. I'm not sure how old the other 2 are but here is a picture.

These are the 2 chicks we want to move outside. (They are both the same size just the yellow one was closer.)

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/rumpmochabunny/photo_zps531f7681.jpg

Thanks for reading all this and any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I can't see the picture.

3. LRH97

LRH97 Songster

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I'm not seeing any pictures on your post either. If they have most of their feathers and it's warmer out, then yes it will probably be OK.

4. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chirping

Jul 17, 2014
    Sorry. I just posted a link to the picture.

5. LRH97

LRH97 Songster

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I would maybe keep them under a lamp for a little longer, at least at night. They look a little small for my liking anyway.

6. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Try putting wire on top of the bin so they won't fly out.

7. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chirping

Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks everyone.

I had to put them outside because of my living situation.

I put them in my dogs' old pool with 2 heatlamps. It's just like how they're living now just a little cooler. When they get a little bigger, i'll move them into their coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by