Is this one a Faverolle?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Puppis, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Puppis

Puppis Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Bucks County, PA
    Hello,

This one (the very light bird) hatched from an egg marked SF, so I assumed it was a Faverolle. Is she? She's very lovely but no beard yet. She's 12 weeks old today. I tried to count her toes but couldn't get close enough, she is shy yet. I'll check her tonight.

I wish the gray and white guy was a hen, but it looks like a rooster. I know he's an EE.

Also, that silkie shown by itself in the last photo is a male, right? I lucked out with my silkies. I plan to give two to a friend and keep two (and have more eventually) - I wound up with what looks like two hens and two roosters.

All of the other ones in that batch are mutts from my sex links. I need to let them begin free ranging but I worry when they are so small yet.

Thank you very much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Well, She is what I would guess to be a cross of a Salmon Fav and something else... She should have a beard and does she have 5 toes? Her color is also really light for a pure SF.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  3. Puppis

May 8, 2008
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:That's what I suspected - a cross. I wasn't able to count her toes, but will in just a bit when I go close the chickens up for the night. She's a bit shy yet.

I thought she was a bit too light and should have a beard by now - but I've never raised a Faverolle yet so I wasn't sure.

At least she's a hen, one of few in that batch I hatched.

Thank you very much.

4. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    It would have to be a cross. Chicks show outward characteristics (muffs/beards/tufts/etc) from birth.

I think your right - the silkie is a roo, and yes - the EE is a roo.

5. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    In some of the pics you can see that she has 4 toes.

6. Puppis

May 8, 2008
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:That's funny, I never even checked the photos myself. But I did check her physically and she has four toes. The feathers on her legs kind of obscure her feet a bit, so I wasn't sure if another toe was under all that or not.

7. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Here are two (not real great) photos of my hatchery stock SF
    Lil Chica
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

She was only a couple of months old and was still feathering in but I thought it might give you something to compare yours to.
    She is 18 weeks now and is much prettier I just haven't downloaded any new photos lately.
    Also she is a spoiled brat [​IMG]

I meant to add that she has always had puffy cheeks but as you can kind of see in these photos her beard has not always been real fluffy. It is really big and puffy now though.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  8. Puppis

May 8, 2008
    Bucks County, PA
    Thank you so much Wannabe. I think mine must be mixed with something, but we'll see. The toes are a good indication too, and mine only has four.

I don't care if she isn't pure after all. It's just good to know in case I ever sell or give away its offspring.

But it's fun to know what I have.

I'm just glad mine is a hen. [​IMG]

9. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    My bet is a EE/Salmon Faverolle cross. Beautiful by the way!

10. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I agree- she has to be a cross- but very pretty! Love that EE roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by