Is this Orpington a hen or a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ybhco, Sep 12, 2016.

1. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Can someone please let me know if this is a hen or a rooster? (S)he is in a coop with two other birds. She defends them like a rooster would and she can be really sweet, but in her adolescence has started the occasional peck at a foot, and she'll also run up behind you and kick you in the butt. She likes perching more than the other birds.

I researched this, and she does seem to have a more pronounced wattle like a rooster (those just developed within the past month). But it's not any redder than the birds she shares a coop with. I can't tell by the tail shape...

Can anyone tell the gender by the information and photo I've provided (the wattle and the hackle feathers)?

I love this bird and don't want to get rid of her, but roosters aren't allowed within the city limits, plus the hens are for eggs.

[​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Need the age and a close, clear, broadside, standing picture.

3. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    I'm guessing about 6-7 months. She was pretty small when I got her at the end of April. Does this photo help?

[​IMG]

4. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If its 6-7 months old, I'd say its a pullet. And getting close to laying.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    pullet at point of lay

7. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Are you sure, Drumstick Diva? This is excellent news. She's my favorite.

8. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    If the age you gave is accurate than she is a pullet and I would expect that fist egg any day now. Is she squatting when you approach her or put your hand out?

9. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Cel45, yes, she has started doing that. She used to be VERY friendly, but for the past month she's been a bit more aggressive and stand-off-ish. Then within the past week, she's gotten super submissive and bows down when I walk up to her.

I only started questioning when she got slightly aggressive. If I startled the other two hens, she'd run over and get in between us. And she started this new thing where if you're not paying attention to her, she'll peck you in the foot. And if you turn your back and walk away from her, she'll fly up and kick you in the ***. It was the behavior that got me asking questions.

Thank y'all so much for the help. This is a big relief.

10. ybhco

ybhco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Y'all aren't going to believe this, but look what my Orpington HEN just did!! I asked my question too soon! Thanks for all the help, and cheers to everyone who was right about this being a hen.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by