1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is this pasty butt?? pictures included!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shotgunfairy, Apr 5, 2012.

1. shotgunfairy

shotgunfairy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    apex. north carolina
    [​IMG] the one on the top doesnt have anything but a tiny tiny hard ball. the one on the bottom has a bit larger of a hard ball. i tried to get it all off and out, but im terrified i'm going to hurt the little guy and pull his innards out. [​IMG] is there anyway this could be a scab or something.

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Anything that hardens blocking the vent of a chick under a month old is surely pasty butt.
    It's better to hurt them by removing it than killing the chick by not doing so.
    I just use a soft cloth moistened with vinegar. Eventually it'll come off or you just have to pull it off.

3. bnjrob

bnjrob Overrun With Chickens

Dec 31, 2008
    North TX
    I had better luck holding their butts under really warm running water with less struggle and it was faster and did a better job than trying to use a rag to wipe it away. Then I used the hair dryer to dry their butts.

And I can't believe that I actually did that to a chicken. Now if they would just eat some yogurt so I could see if it would help with the problem - but I think I have some of the dumbest chickens on the planet and they will swim in the yogurt but not eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by