Is this pasty butt? What should I do to help heal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whatchickens?, Nov 24, 2010.

1. whatchickens?

whatchickens? Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2008
    [​IMG]

I was given this chicken at a poultry show and I'm trying to nurse her back to a healthy laying girl. She has a voracious appetite; I've been giving her yogurt with applesause & oaks to make sure her belly is right. I add a few drops of applecidar vinegar to her water; given her a bath and blow dry. I've checked her for bugs but can't find any on her. Not sure what else to do.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she has a voracious appetite you might want to worm her, not that having a good appetite means worms but I'd be thinking she has never been wormed, can you find out from the person you got her from? I think only chicks can get actual pasty butt, but she could just be getting messy from her feathers , I try to keep my hens feathers around their vent trimmed to avoid that. Sounds like your taking good care of her as far as what you've stated. I put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in my chickens water everyday. Tab to 1 gallon.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you stop giving her applesauce, it acts as a mild laxative from what I've read. I also recommend you mix the yogurt with scrambled egg (extra protein)....add regular layer crumbles with the yogurt and egg to make a mash, take away the oats. Give the mash to her to eat for about 3-4 days. Then just give her layer crumbles. Check her poop for worms. You could take a sample to a vet and have them check it out for a nominal fee. Mine recently cost $10 for my rooster.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That sure looks like feather breakage from mites. I would dust her even though you haven't seen any mites on her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by