Is this 'pasty butt'?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by graykristen, May 3, 2008.

1. graykristen

graykristen Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    We're raising our first batch of chicks. Half are Red Bros and half are Cornish Cross. Some of them have what looks like very poopy butts. The poop is caked on and a few had it pretty bad. Those few also lost their fur around the whole picky area. One in particular we had to cull because he was in such bad shape. He lost all of his fur on his underside and legs and the area around the anus turned white and crusty and he was losing water.

Still seeing some with poop caked on. I make sure that the vent is clear but I was just wondering what this is and what causes it.

Any feedback? I'm new at all of this and I'm so grateful for this message board.

Thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, that is pasty butt.

If you are giveing then anything other than plain clean water and chick starter crumbles please stop. I know alot of people give sugar water* to new chicks but doing so for more than 1 day causes pasty butt. Shipping, chilling and stress cause it also.

Here is what I do -

In your kitchen sink run a stream of warm water. Hold the chick and let the water run over the poopy area to loosen and help wash it away. When the vent is clean and exposed you can carefully trim away the butt fluff fleathers so it can't trap the poop. Coat the area and around the vent (what you called the picky area) with vaseline to keep anything from sticking. You may have to check them several times through the day to make sure nothing is sticking and rewash, dry and apply vaseline.

If they are not getting better by the next day you can cook some white rice or oatmeal and mix it with some plain organic yogurt (no sugar) to try and tighten things up.

Keeping it cleaned up on their bottoms can be a big job but it has to be done. They can get blocked up and it can be fatal.

*I say no sugar because sugar and water acts like a laxative.

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i had one I just had to clean up but is a little bit normal? they all have a little in the area. The one i did clean lost the fur in the area, I dont have valeline, would neosporin be ok?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Try Olive Oil....

5. graykristen

graykristen Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    Thank you!

I was't feeding any sugar water. We had a feed issue though. These birds arrived a week earlier than they were supposed to and we hadn't gotten our feed yet. We had to borrow some from a neighbor. It was an unfortunate situation but beyond our control. The had the proper feed mix by day 3 though and we added some cider vinegar to the water to see if that helped. It's been a week now.

I notice a few brown runny poops on the bedding but I don't know who they're coming from. I have been making sure that the vents are clear on the ones with pasty butt. I'll try your method of cleaning them and just keep an eye on things.

This first batch is a HUGE learning experience.

Thanks again.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If the chicks are still really small, I've found that using a Q-tip with warm water easily cleans poopie butts. I have Button quail, and every once in a while they do the same thing, but it's not good to get them too wet. I just run warm water, and keep rinsing/soaking the Q-tip and with a rolling motion go from below the vent up towards the tail. Rinse, swab, rinse, swab... after a few tries it usually softens enough to either be gently pulled off, or it disolves on it's own. I've not tried the oil or vaseline, but if MP or TOH suggest it, then do it... they won't steer you wrong. [​IMG]

Congratulations on your babies! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by