Is this perch too high?

Pics

alinas2010

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Jul 8, 2022
Wyoming
In the process of building my girls a mansion out of a shed. Got the poop shelf in and a perch above it, but having second thoughts on height. Should we lower everything? How high do they like to perch? Right now they are sleeping in a prefab coop that doesn’t offer high roosting, and they struggled at first with there not being higher places to roost at night. They constantly flapped up to the top and even tried to sleep outside on top of it. I don’t want them to fall off or try to jump from this height, though.

Attachments

• D8847B22-EDEF-49B8-9106-E796599B0C26.jpeg
    D8847B22-EDEF-49B8-9106-E796599B0C26.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 77
They will roost as high as they can get.
Height only needs to be higher than the nests, to prevent sleeping(and pooping) in nests.
Higher doesn't matter as long as they have landing room when flying down.
My roost is only 8" above the poop board.
Do they get down okay? Silly question, I’m sure. I’m newer to chickens. I watch mine jump off my patio table and cringe, I don’t want them to jump off their roost directly to the ground and get hurt.

Do they get down okay? Silly question, I’m sure. I’m newer to chickens. I watch mine jump off my patio table and cringe, I don’t want them to jump off their roost directly to the ground and get hurt.
I think it depends on your breeds, to a point. My very large Brahma and Cochin hens kept having issues with bumblefoot. Someone suggested my roost was too high. I lowered it to about 8 inches, and they haven't had any problems since.

I think it depends on your breeds, to a point. My very large Brahma and Cochin hens kept having issues with bumblefoot. Someone suggested my roost was too high. I lowered it to about 8 inches, and they haven't had any problems since.
Good to know. I do worry about bumblefoot. We will start with this height and see how they do. Hoping they’re smart enough to just use the ramp and not risk a jump, but as said, they do kind of fly and I’m sure they’ll go against what i want, as always 😂 Thanks for the info! I am sanding the roost down a bit to avoid bumblefoo, as well!

It looks pretty high, but they'll love it. Use deep litter for a softer landing. You could add a short ramp sideways, from about center of the roost down to meet the top of your long ramp. Those who don't want to fly down and older birds will simply walk down.
I do plan on trying the deep litter method if I can, so hopefully they will have a cushy landing if they decide to jump. Didn’t even think of the sideways ramp idea, that’s an option. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom