1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this poo normal? *Pictures*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lauranickerson, Aug 3, 2013.

1. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Long story short, I acquired some new hens. They weren't in the best shape. They are in quarantine and have been for a few weeks now. Have only gotten maybe 6 eggs altogether out of 5 hens since I've got them. Lady said they were molting. Not sure if that's true or not. I think I got rid of all the lice. The dark red one had vent gleet of some sort, but might still have it. I see some weird poos sometimes: sometimes they are green, but I've found quite a few like this today. The dark red was found panting last night in about 60 degree weather.

Anyone have any ideas? Don't want to infect my flock with something bad if that's what this is. I'm lost. I've searched and searched and don't know what to do now. :(

Someone please help?

Here's some weird poos I just found along with two of the worst looking hens. There's another Australorp, a Black Sex Link, and a Barred Rock also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    Anyone? Could really use the voice of an expert!

3. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    Im no expert, but i have seen that around where my hens run. And they are all healthy. Especially my oprington hen *makes* something similar. The only thing i would say is provide grit for them. As it looks like there are some solids. I dont know much about it, but im sure others will.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Some will claim that that poop is normal, but I have only ever seen poop like that in birds with coccidiosis or blackhead, both confirmed by necropsy at UC Davis.

If they were mine, I would de-worm them with fenbebdazole 10% (Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste) 50mg/kg by mouth and repeat in ten days. I'd also start them on Corid or Amprol (amprolium), which is the treatment for coccidiosis.

These items can be purchased in the cattle, goat and horse sections of most US feed stores.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From:http://www.corid.com/Pages/WaterTankAdminTreatment.aspx
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  5. Darkfeather

Darkfeather Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's what I used to think until the feedstore had six sick peacocks, all had poop like that and three of them died from coccidiosis (confirmed by necropsy). My vet also said that foamy poop is a sign a a protozoa infection, which could coccidiosis, blackhead or maybe giardia, but I have no experience with giardia, so I can't say what the poop looks like.

FWIW, I have six chickens in brooders right now and none of their cecal poop ever looks like like, it's darker and never foamy.

-Kathy

7. Darkfeather

Nov 23, 2011
    Really? My chickens have poop like that also but they also pass solids.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I see them in my flock, too, but I suspect that the ones producing them have coccidiosis or blackhead. Ask yourself this... how can anyone claim that those poops are normal unless thorough testing was done on all poop samples shown? I agree that the abnormal are abnormal, but again, unless testing was done, how can one be sure what the cause was?

-Kathy

9. Darkfeather

Nov 23, 2011
    True enough but a lot of people like to jump to cocci if anything is abnormal too. Not saying you are but people kept telling me my pullets bloody poo was cocci when she was never outside and it cleared up in a couple days. She'd just eaten some wood shavings. But I guess treating it couldn't hurt. The meds I have say not to eat eggs from them though. How many days after treatment should you wait till eating the eggs again?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There is no withdrawal period using corid; it is a thiamine blocker, not an antibiotic. I agree with Casportpony, they need to be wormed and kept in quarantine, reinspected/retreatment for lice/mites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by