Is this poo normal?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Torch404, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Torch404

Torch404 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Northern Cali
    I'm on day three of owning chickens.

I saw one of my birds poo. It was a really weird color. The pic doesn't do great justice to it. A few hours later after I got home from work I saw it poo again normal colored though.

I did feed them beet peals yesterday...and I know what it does to mine...but being so new I just gotta ask...does beet peel turn a chicken poo purple too?? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Every once in a while that's okay. That's just a funny colored cecal poop. Watch them though, just to be safe.

Fruits and veggies can do that. I fed my birds strawberries once and they pooped transparent red.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Look on the internet under "The chicken keeper's guide to poo" (seriously). It shows all normal and abnormal poos.

1 person likes this.
  4. vicegrip

vicegrip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Mena AR
    Quote:Thank you for that [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. BirdZilla

BirdZilla New Egg

Feb 24, 2009
    Roanoke, Texas
    My chickens poo was that color about two weeks ago and it turned out that they had a common chicken virus called Coccidiosis and its pretty bad. They had lost alot of weight and the people at the feed store said they had worms but they kept getting worse, so I called the vet he said it was this virus and if not treated could be fatal. You might look into it just to be safe. There poop should never really be that color.

6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Anyones poop will be that color after feeding beets to them!!

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
  8. maymiegirl

maymiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    PA
    If it has a jellied consistency you could be facing a nasty parasite. I would suggest having it tested to see what type and treat accordingly before it gets too out of hand.

9. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

the chick grit i use is that color....i was wondering if your grit is colored too....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by