Is this Porcelain? (Silkie)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ladyfaeden, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ladyfaeden

ladyfaeden Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    St. Helens, Oregon
    [​IMG]This is one of my Silkie Roosters. I think he's around 6 months old. I'm not familiar with porcelain-the pictures I've seen look lighter in color then my roo. I saw a picture of a "Salmon" Roo that looked similiar. So-what color would you say this is?

2. ladyfaeden

Dec 7, 2011
    St. Helens, Oregon
    I'm thinking of breeding this color into my sizzles as I think he's the prettiest of all my Silkies. What do you think?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    He is not pocelain; he is splash with autosomal red, aka calico. THere is some similarity of appearance to blue/splash salmon. If you want to see true salmon colouring, look at a salmon faverolle. The girls look very, very different. The salmon and blue salmon faverolles pictured below are from feathersite.com:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    You have what is commonly called in Silkies a Calico. He is not Salmon.

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Took a closer look and mine are much lighter in color...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  6. ladyfaeden

Dec 7, 2011
    St. Helens, Oregon
    His head and tail are lavender and his body is buff. I'm not sure that shows up well in the picture. I will try to get another one.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  7. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I definitely won't argue with these experts but I wish this was a bigger photo. [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

If you look at my avatar, it is the colour of a porcelain who is mostly isabel, with only a bit of lavender. See how much redder your boys wings are? Don't get me wrong. I think his colouring is very pretty--it is just not anything like porcelain or salmon. This picture from feathersite is a true porcelain. While porcelain silkies do not have the mottling, they should have the correct hues (isabel & lavender) to be called porcelain.
    [​IMG]
    and this photo of Kazjaps' from belgians.eldras,nl
    [​IMG]

9. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Thank you for the explanation :) It makes it much clearer.

10. ladyfaeden

Dec 7, 2011
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Thanks for the pictures! That helps a lot. I don't really care what color he is, I just want to make sure I'm calling him the correct thing. So, sounds like Calico is the right term-which means my other rooster who I was told was a calico, probably isn't one. He's black with red or buff showing through. I'd call him tortoiseshell if he was a cat.... Anyway, I appreciate the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by