Is this possible? Doubt it.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I was looking at youtube video's of chick development, and I was wondering if its ever been done/even possible that there was a way you could be able to put a yolk in something close to an egg thats clear to actaully be able to WATCH the developing chick ALIVE.

yeah random I know but after that thought came I couldnt get rid of it without a answer

2. Yeah, I have seen a youtube video like that. When I find it again, I will post it on here.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can do what is called "windowing" an egg, but unless done in a sterile lab/research type environment, the chicks will die from infection. Even when we did this for research for various studies, most did not make it.

So is it possible, yes. Is it something to do, not unless you have a good reason or are wiling to to sacrifice it's life.

For a few days you can "culture" an embryo in a plastic cup, but it doesn't get that far or go that long.

4. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Thanks,
    If I did the culture for a egg for a couple days would it harm my other eggs? should it be done in an empty incubator?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It won't harm any egg other than the egg you'll be opening up. Just don't spill it in the bator as egg makes a pretty good bacterial culture media.

6. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Alright, Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by