1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TubbyChicken, Dec 9, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    So I'm planning to transition the chicks out to the coops ASAP.

In trying to think of a way to keep them warm and safe out there it occurred to me that an adult hen might come in handy.

Is it possible to integrate my chicks with an adult hen (I was thinking Silkie or another broody, docile breed) with my chicks at the same time. I'm hoping she might provide extra warmth during colder nights.

I don't have an adult hen so this would first require me to find one...and I would have to find a source that I had absolutely NO question about health.

Am I crazy? Would it be too risky?

2. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    would be easier and less bother to just hang a heat lamp..even if you put a docil hen in with them they will be scared of her at first and they will all be in one corner and the hen in another

3. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    One more question...How would I go about finding an adult hen that had a clean bill of health? Is there a certification that would be reassuring? References?

I really want the chicks out of the house but I want them to be safe out there.

4. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:I'm trying to convince dh to consider trying to put a heat lamp in the coop...it will be a LOT of work...a lot of work and he's concerned that because our coops aren't very big that there is a very big risk of fire. [​IMG]

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    There are no guarantees that a hen would be completely safe to put with your chicks without quarantine (though, yes, you might get lucky) and even if you did find one... there's no way you can know how they will react to one another. Would be a tragedy to end up with a hen that hated the chicks or chicks scared of the new hen. Best to go with the light I think.... just make sure you follow all of the safety rules. Don't hang it where it could fall into the shavings, etc.

6. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I transitioned my chicks to their coop at 4 weeks. I didn't have electicity at the coop so I ran an extension cord to the coop. I drilled a hole on the top south side of the coop and ran the extension cord through the hole and strung it over the rafters so that it wouldn't hang down. I plugged a heat lamp in and hung it from a rafter. The chicks are doing great and it's been as low as 15 degrees in the coop on the sides away from the heat lamp that's in the middle. they just huddled together under the heat lamp.

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    When I put mine out in the spring at 6 weeks..... I gave them a cardboard box... turned upside down like a cave with an opening so they could all get in there and share their body heat. I don't know how cold it is where you are..... but possibly this could work for you if they are fully feathered and the cold is mild.

8. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I would not put an adult hen with chicks even if she was healthy. They might be afraid of her or she might be afraid of them and hurt them. Even in the best of circumstances it can be difficult to get them accustomed to each other. I would figure out a safe way of using the heat lamp.

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    even broody hens usually wont accept anothers chickies... i would not dare try that.she could kill them... maybe an "older" chick,, but i would not try an adult..
    i personally would give them a heat lamp in one corner..

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

If you really don't want to put up a heat lamp, what about a radiant heater? They're supposed to be very safe. http://www.a1solutions.com/pet_heat.htm

If not, the upside-down box sounds like a decent idea, it would keep them out of drafts, and let them huddle together to stay warm, but do still make sure they have ventilation in the box, they still need air!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by