Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsmaonaigh, Sep 9, 2010.

1. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    I have a hen that hasn't started laying yet. She should be getting close but for the last week she hasn't wanted to come out of the coop. She seems to be the popular lady with the rooster and he is ALWAYS hounding her. Usually when I go out the back door all the chickens come running because they know they are going to get treats. She doesn't come out at all. She is usually hiding under the coop or up on the perch inside the coop. Is it possible for her to be broody already or is she just hiding out?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I'd say she is being terrorized by the rooster (since you mentioned he's after her all the time), and so she is hiding in the coop to avoid him. Stress doesn't lend itself to egg laying, so that's not good. If this behavior keeps up, you may have to consider different options (rehoming the pullet, containing the rooster at least part of the time, rehoming the rooster, etc.).

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Ditto - she is avoiding the rooster or other chickens. I used to have a young rooster that would hound the hens. Sneak up on them etc. Finally had to get rid of him. Can only have 1 rooster you know.

4. mrsmaonaigh

mrsmaonaigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    SE Georgia
    Thanks. I guess we'll be doing some culling this afternoon.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    How many hens do you have for the roo? That can make a difference, too. Recommended ratio is at least 10 hens for each rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by