Is this pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riverlivin, Nov 19, 2016.

1. riverlivin

riverlivin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    [​IMG]
    I'm forcing feeding her but she barely sees to eat or drink.shes lost so much weight.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Others with silkies may help with an opinion, but it looks possibly like pox, it's just most things are hard for me to see on gray silkie skin. Does she have any signs of a respiratory disease, such as sneeze, cough, nasal drainage? Can you look inside her mouth for any white or yellow patches that could be wet fowl pox? Who knows what color those could be in a silkie? I would try to get a feeding tube from your vet and a large syringe to tube feed her fluids and KayTee baby bird feed or ground chick feed. One can also use a piece of aquarium air tubing as a feeding tube, as long as one end is melted with a lighter to soften sharp edges. Casportpony is quite good at helping others learn to tube feed. Here is a good link to read about that:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

4. riverlivin

Jul 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Inside mouth is free of sores. She is very labored in her breathing and raspy. Her eyes are nearly 100% sealed shut, thus she just sits. Im force feeding her but its much harder then a few days ago, she fights like mad. A few days ago I could force a bite or two down then she would search around for more. Im syringing water into her mouth and she drinks a bit but after a few drops she just stops swallowing and it runs down her neck. Her eyes have gotten way worse then the photo taken a few days ago. her nose holes are starting to be covered but just barely. Her feathers are falling out.

5. riverlivin

Jul 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Thanks I had seen that before and hers look more like one giant mass. That chicken looks more like lots of crumble scabs. Mine looks like one big scab.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you can get her to a vet in the morning, I would. She probably needs antibiotics and fluids. Feed stores sell a few for respiratory diseases, such as Tylan 50 injectable and oxytetracycline or Duramycin for respiratory diseases. They may be harder to get by the first of 2017 due to FDA rules. Have you seen any other pox or respiratory symptoms in others? The eye swelling could be from mycoplasma or coryza, if it is a respiratory infection.

7. riverlivin

Jul 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    Went to avian vet. She failed to tell me both ears were 100% blocked with infection . She basically told me she'll probably be fine in a few days. No improvement, it's been a week. Twice daily antibiotics to ward of respiratory infection. Supposedly they "cleaned" her face but her eyes continue to weep and seal. Her skin seems be forming scabs over
    Her whole head though she has no wounds. I'm at a loss. Force feeding her poly vi, vitamin b and boiled egg mixture. An old chicken farmer told me 3 days to heal
    For every one day sick. At this rate she won't be
    Healed until January. At this point I wish she would just
    Pass in the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by