Is this prolapse or vent gleet?

Dollar_bill89

Hatching
Sep 17, 2022
Is this vent gleet or prolapse? We tried feeling for an egg to see if she is egg bound but did not feel anything. We have been giving her warm baths, apple cider vinegar in the water, and lotrmin on her rear thinking is vent gleet. She seems to be eating and walking around just fine. She will lay in the grass on her side from time to time.

Attachments

• 74277122-AF82-401F-A294-39B40DBBEAA4.jpeg
    74277122-AF82-401F-A294-39B40DBBEAA4.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 53
Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
It does look like a prolapse.
You need to keep the tissue moist, put honey or ointment on it. Gently try and push it back in, you may need to hold it for a bit.
She may have a prolapse because she's having trouble laying an egg. Get some calcium citrate +D3 tablets and give her one tablet once a day until you fix the prolapse.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :welcome
It does look like a prolapse.
You need to keep the tissue moist, put honey or ointment on it. Gently try and push it back in, you may need to hold it for a bit.
She may have a prolapse because she's having trouble laying an egg. Get some calcium citrate +D3 tablets and give her one tablet once a day until you fix the prolapse.
Thank you!

It will get worse than better at this point, it will take a bit to heal (week) and when it does heal the vent will go in on its own, I tried pushing it in but realized the infection could go internally so the vent just stayed out. Please, don't be surprised if she lays an egg during that time. The egg laying may reset the tissues out from being twisted. I soaked Garnet twice a day to soften the dead skin and clean it. After the soak I would spray it with vetercyn or water with a few drops of witch hazel. This is going to sound silly but spread honey all around the exposed tissue then sprinkle sugar on it and put her in a private area. I did used ointment like the one you'd find in a first aid kit, diaper rash cream. After a few days it will start to form a mushroom shape, it will fall off by itself, you know it's working when you can see tissue under the mushroom scab. If you're still reading, find a place where she can be in a dark room to keep her from laying, but Garnet did anyway 3 in fact. She was hurting while she laid it but finally got it done. I almost had my neighbor cull her, but a voice said YOU can do this, she is my shadow now.

It will get worse than better at this point, it will take a bit to heal (week) and when it does heal the vent will go in on its own, I tried pushing it in but realized the infection could go internally so the vent just stayed out. Please, don't be surprised if she lays an egg during that time. The egg laying may reset the tissues out from being twisted. I soaked Garnet twice a day to soften the dead skin and clean it. After the soak I would spray it with vetercyn or water with a few drops of witch hazel. This is going to sound silly but spread honey all around the exposed tissue then sprinkle sugar on it and put her in a private area. I did used ointment like the one you'd find in a first aid kit, diaper rash cream. After a few days it will start to form a mushroom shape, it will fall off by itself, you know it's working when you can see tissue under the mushroom scab. If you're still reading, find a place where she can be in a dark room to keep her from laying, but Garnet did anyway 3 in fact. She was hurting while she laid it but finally got it done. I almost had my neighbor cull her, but a voice said YOU can do this, she is my shadow now.
so prolapses are awful. my bearded had one and I was told I should have tried to push it back in once moist.. hanging out would lead to tissue death so it's interesting different species, different remedies. thank you, glad I saw this in case it happens to one of my girls

Back
Top Bottom