Is this purebred RIR or production Red?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speedy2020, Jul 27, 2010.

1. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Can someone tell me if these are purebred RIR or production red?

[​IMG]

2. Sunshyne276

Sunshyne276 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Richlands, Virginia
    Very pretty chickens! I don't actually know the difference between the two, wish I could be of some help.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    very pretty chickens! and i think theyre RIRs but they could be PRs i suppose... sorry not too sure hopefully somebody more experianced will pitch in soon, good luck and congrats on the new chickies! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I'm guessing RIR. I am pretty sure that Production Reds are a little lighter in color.

5. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Rochester, IL
    I have a ure RIR and another hen that looks just like these. She started layig a week earlier than the RIR and has a bigger, brighter comb.????

I do have 6 Golden Comet/ Red Star/ Production Reds? They are lighter thn she is?

6. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    It is always hard to tell much from a photo, but they do not look like show quality to me. Production Reds are generally lighter in color and in weight than RIRs and tend to have a higher tail and less chest. While your photo shows lovely dark coloring, the rooster lacks chest and his shape is more triangular than brick-shaped. Take a look at the RIR Club's website for a better look at good RIRs and I believe they may have their standard on there too: http://www.crohio.com/reds/

HTH

Rusty

edited
    to add that heritage RIRs weigh a good bit more and are larger than hatchery stock. My heritage roos weighed 10-12 lbs and the hens were 8-10 lbs. These were big birds and felt much more substantial than hatchery stock AND they laid just as well. It is really hard to tell size and weight from a photo. If you have access to the birds, pick them up. They should feel solid and meaty, not bony at all, and be more rectangular in shape than hatchery birds will be. The color will be so very dark red as to be surprising how dark they are. The black feathers will have a greenish sheen to them. The tail will not be high up in the air like a Leghorn's tail, but more straight out the back instead of up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  7. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I agree! RIR!! Production reds are Lighter. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Good Luck and God Bless!

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    R.I. Reds
    Chris

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    All of those are Rhode Island Reds. [​IMG]

10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    These are not my chicken, but I can get chick from this bloodline locally here is Seattle. I've seen these chicken in person myself. One of the hen has rose comb.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by