Is this quail okay?

Kritterz

Hatching
May 19, 2018
I hatched two batches of coturnix quail several years ago (one was from eggs purchased on eBay and the other was eggs from my own quail). I’m at it again, but this isn’t how I remember things happening before, so I’m worried. I’m also old, and it’s been awhile, so my memory may be rusty.

I set this batch of fifteen eggs (from eBay seller, allowed to rest twelve hours after receiving) late in the evening of May 2. Incubator has a thermostat and temp has been 99.5 F the whole time, humidity around 50-60 percent. I locked down the incubator on May 16 and raised humidity to 75. Last night (May 18) I noticed an egg was pipped and peeping. This morning, that egg looked no different but, by 11 AM it had hatched.

None of the other eggs has pipped, and this chick was peeping continually, so I thought she/he may be thirsty. I moved it into the brooder just now and dipped its beak. It drank just a little.

It isn’t walking yet. It seems like my other two batches were walking right away, and I know they all hatched within hours of each other. I think there is something wrong with this baby’s legs, as it isn’t standing upright and is 3 1/2 hours old. Is there anything I can do? I’ll attach a photo or maybe a video, whichever one works for me.

Also, I know there is nothing I can do about how many eggs end up hatching at this point but, if you had to guess, would you be worried about the remaining 14 eggs? I do feel this one was about a day premature (didn’t expect them until tomorrow evening), but is it typical for a single egg to hatch so much earlier than all the rest, or would you guess the rest are bad eggs? I don’t candle or float, reasoning that the less I mess with them, the better, since I can’t “fix” it if an egg’s a dud.

Thanks to anyone who offers advice or a “best guess” here.

Attachments

• B1B10287-2665-4663-AFB5-2FA12091F51C.jpeg
    B1B10287-2665-4663-AFB5-2FA12091F51C.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 7C56CAE3-2F05-4D51-9D85-2573F50CDF64.jpeg
    7C56CAE3-2F05-4D51-9D85-2573F50CDF64.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 24
Put it in a little cloth cup/nest so its legs are under it, with food and water within easy reach. Something is definitely not right with its legs, and that may help.

Okay, here’s how I fixed it up. Any adjustments suggested? There’s water in the milk cap, and she pecked at the food.

Attachments

• AAA4F95F-F82F-4D62-8BF1-C174F57FB4A3.jpeg
    AAA4F95F-F82F-4D62-8BF1-C174F57FB4A3.jpeg
    737.2 KB · Views: 21
A paper towel is perfectly fine for using in the brooder. The chicks get good traction on it, you just do not want to use newspaper.

That chick has "splayed legs". You can google it. It is typically caused by too high of temperature, too low of humidity, or a slippery surface when they hatch. Every once in a while you will get a bird with them regardless of your settings so if you don't have several birds with them then your settings were likely okay.

You need to tape his legs together. I have done this with two quail and after a day or 2 their legs were fixed.

This is how you fix it (keep in mind this chick in the video does NOT have splayed legs they are just demonstrating what to do)

Here's another video of someone using a rubberband to fix it,

Last edited:
Super helpful! Thank you! I think I’ll try the Bandaid, although she actually looks a little better after some time in the “nest”. Another egg is pipping right now. I hope it doesn’t have the same problem. I might try to put rubbery shelf liner down over the paper towel in my incubator. Would it hurt for me to pick up the eggs to do that?

Last edited:
I've hatched about 250 quail on paper towels and haven't had any problems. Elevating her where her legs can hang straight down will definitely help. You just don't want her to keep doing the split or she may never walk. Her legs just need to be kept together so the muscles can re-attach.

She had kicked off her Bandaid this morning and was running around with the other ones (I ended up with seven). If she didn’t have a black spot on her head and another on her back, I wouldn’t have been able to tell which bird had needed help! I really thought she wouldn’t make it, but she’s in perfect shape now. I’m just amazed! Thanks so much for the information. The rest of the birds’ legs have looked normal, so that’s a relief. It means it’s probably not genetic.

I do hear peeping coming from two of the unhatched eggs. We’ve been at this for over two days now, and I believe I’ll have two more chicks in the morning. Last time I hatched quail, they all hatched within a couple hours of each other. This whole experience has been completely different, but these babies are sure cute!

Attachments

• B1110802-F3AE-495F-8443-224296E6CA3F.jpeg
    B1110802-F3AE-495F-8443-224296E6CA3F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
So happy your lil one is doing better I just had 1 out of 3 eggs hatch and he has curled toes. I made him little shoes to hopefully fix them but this story has given me great hope!! They are the cutest sweetest lil things!!

Back
Top Bottom