Is this really a RIR?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lesler5, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Lesler5

Lesler5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    [​IMG]
    This hen is supposed to be RIR but she is much darker in color than the other 2 that are from the same breeder. They were all purchased at the same time. The only difference as chicks was that the other two were solid colored chicks but this one had a very dark wide strip down her back. Looked like a chipmunk. She is the same size as her "sisters" but I have noticed that when the sunlight hits her, she has a greenish sheen, almost like the Australorp and a few darker tail feathers as well. At one point her feathers almost appeared to have some subtle barring but it is not noticeable now. Any ideas?

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
  3. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    YES!!! I am so jealous!!! I'll take her if you don't want her.

The HQ RIRs are very light and almost washed out looking.

This is what they are supposed to look like. You have a VERY pretty hen!

4. Lesler5

Sep 22, 2011
    Thanks. Would it be normal for a breeder to raise both both HQ and SQ?

5. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    The local breeder we have says its very hard to find RIR that are that dark. So most are working towards that color but will still have some lighter ones.

I can tell this local breeder is getting closer....each batch of RIR roosters I get for Camp Kenmore are darker and darker. LOL

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yup, looks like a RIR to me. She's the color that they're supposed to be, and the lighter ones are poorly colored. RIRs should be a rich mahogany red.

7. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Yes. She sure has big legs for a hen though. Unless it is just the picture. She looks like a hen otherwise though. I have a bantam RIR and she is real dark like that too. I think she would've been a show stopper.

8. Lesler5

Sep 22, 2011
    I'm thrilled to hear this. I also have a RIR rooster from the same breeder. He is very rich mahogany brown but appears to have a white feather in his tail, which apparently he shouldn't...only one small white one at the base

9. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Perhaps it will grow in normally after it's first molt.

10. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    If she is from a breeder, your probly getting the 'culls', not saying that's a bad thing, but they, for some reason or another, dont meet the standard she wants. Sounds like their getting better though!! I'd enjoy some "good culls" any day!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by