Is this really an Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AZchickens1704, Apr 7, 2017.

1. AZchickens1704

AZchickens1704 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    This is my 5 week old chick, Ophelia. The store I got her from said she was an Ameraucana, but she doesn't have the muffs on her cheeks like my other one does. Any thoughts?[​IMG]

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    she looks to me like an Easter Egger, that plumage color is very popular among Easter Eggers. Some places use the terms loosely when they come to chickens that lay pretty colored eggs. I could be wrong, but I believe Amaraucanas come only in 3 solid colors, black, white and blue. Easter Eggers on the other side, can be an explosion of all different combinations of colors, including the ones Ameraucanas have. Either way she is a very pretty one. Muff or no muff, they can lay pretty color eggs (blue,green,pink or any combination of those).

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Easter egger.

4. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    She's an EE. Feed store "Ameraucanas" are always EE. True Ameraucanas are much too expensive for a feed store to carry but they are labeled as Aleraucanas anyhow.

5. AZchickens1704

AZchickens1704 New Egg

Mar 12, 2017
    Ok. I figured she might be an easter egger. When she is full grown, Will she look like an Ameruacana, or will she just be a mix?

6. Minnowey

Minnowey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2016
    Northwest Oregon
    She will not look like an Amauranana, she will keep plumage very similar to what she has now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by