Is this REALLY an Americauna rooster? Please help.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mschickiemama, Feb 15, 2012.

1. mschickiemama

mschickiemama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    Should I buy this rooster? He's originally from a feed store and the guy says he's an Americauna. He doesn't look like it to me. Is he an easter egger? Also, the guy says he is approx. 20 weeks , heavy boned, and almost twice the weight of his sisters. Is this a good thing? I've never had a rooster before and need help from the experts out there!

[​IMG]

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Looks like a Speckled Sussex rooster to me.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

X2

4. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    Wow. He does look like one...Is that a good rooster breed? I'm new to this... :p

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Depends on what your breeding goals are. He'll make fertile eggs if that's all you want.

6. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    I'm agreeing with what everyone else here has said - looks much like a Speckled Sussex roo. He'd be good looking if he were strutting around in your yard, at least.

7. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    I don't care about having purebred chickens. I just want my hen to have the option of hatching chicks. Most importantly I want a rooster who's nice and will not hurt my hens. ..

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Speckled Sussexes are pretty big. I have a SS pullet who is 6 mos old. At 6 mos, she is already bigger and heavier than my 1-3 year old hens. I have sex links, Easter Eggers, Faverolles. She is way big. But she is also one of my favorites and I want to get more! I didn't have any roos survive, dumb things roosted in the barn instead of the coop and got eaten by coons. But I would have kept one if I'd had one. Most of my other roos get eaten by us, unless they're a breed I really like. He'll probably be big and heavy, but unless you have bantams, that shouldn't be a problem.

9. mschickiemama

Oct 6, 2011
    Thanks for the info. None of my hens are bantam, but some are on the smaller side. I guess I won't know for sure until I visit the rooster in person...

10. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree that this is a hatchery quality Speckled Sussex roo. There's no way of knowing if he's a good roo until you see him in person. Watch him with his hens, see if he offers them treats, is alert for predators, intervenes in squabbles etc.

Also, take a look at his flock of hens for injuries or overbreeding. If he is not being a gentleman, they'll be missing feathers on their heads and backs.

And most importantly, interact with him while he's around his hens. Most roos will not be overly friendly, and will keep thier distance... which is totally fine. What isn't fine is if he charges you, attacks you, and wing-dances/stomps at you. These are signs of aggression that could escalate. Along that line, test him by turning your back to him as well. Sometimes aggressive roos will use that as a chance to attack you.

If he passes muster in these categories, then by all means, scoop him up as soon as possible! Good roos are treasures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by