Is this really that strange? and Sleep talking?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JNorth, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    I just recently became our towns tax collector.... which has allowed me to have some pretty good conversation with many of the good old farmers around here [​IMG]. As soon as they come in my kitchen they see my egg basket and ask about my chickens. More than one person has been surprised by the fact that I am still getting 1 egg from each of our 8 RSL hen's per day (since it's winter and we have less daylight and all). The eggs weigh anywhere from 65-70gm. They are not receiving any artificial light or supplemental heat. They were recently moved from their original coop to our wood shed coop ( see here...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/733941/winter-coop-update-w-lots-of-pics) and still they have kept right on laying.... 8 a day without fail.

Is it really that strange? I just figure the girls know what they are doing! [​IMG]

I live in WNY. Sunrise 7:39, sunset 5:02.

ETA: Forgot to ask another silly question. Anyone have "sleep talkers"? Got up last night to use the bathroom (which is very close to the coop) and heard one of the girls going nuts. I've only heard that one other time when a possum was trying to invade. Anyway, I sent my husband out and he came back saying that they are all on the roost sleeping. Guess it was a bad dream! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Moving from one coop to another can cause stress and stress makes them stop laying, unfortunately. I heard ACV in the drink water helps chickens deal with stress though, try that?
    As for sleep talking, well, I've seen it with our dogs, so why not chickens? LOL

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If this is their first winter, it's not strange at all. It's the years after when they take at least a molting break. My coop is too far for me to hear night chatter but my guess is that the rooster wasn't the only one making noise at 3AM in the pitch black.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    That's kinda what I figured. It just made me wonder when these farmers were surprised! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by