is this red star chicken ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beszchick, Oct 23, 2015.

1. beszchick

beszchick Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    [​IMG]

And why her comb is huge ?

2. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    There is a very good possibility that your chicken is a New Hampshire cockerel.... His tail hasn't grown in quite yet, I would say...

Edit* how old is it? The comb is making me think roo but the tail has no sickle feathers yet.... Age would help :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  3. beszchick

beszchick Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2014
    No shes laying eggs

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yes, it's a sex link, star, whatever name the hatchery uses. There is a lot of Leghorn in some hatchery birds. That comb is a prime example, most red sex links don't have that uber comb but do show pinched upright Leghorn type tails.

5. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Lol yeah that's why I had to do a double take and a double edit.... I have not seen such a BIG comb on a Red Star hen lol... Well, mine anyway... That's one huge comb! :D

Yep then, Red Star would be what she is :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    With that white underfluff and white feathers in her tail, she's definitely a Red Star (Red Sex Link) pullet. Even if she weren't laying eggs, her sex would be obvious by her color. Male Red Sex Links (Red Stars) are primarily white with a smattering of red feathers in the saddle area. Red Stars are laying machines. You should be getting loads of large brown eggs from that girl. :eek:)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Her comb looks big enough to explode. Maybe she had botox or whatever the Hollywood crowd uses to pump things up.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Red Star hen to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by