Is this right?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NatureLove11, Dec 14, 2010.

1. NatureLove11

NatureLove11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    Hi everyone so my laying hens are in a 8x2x2 box i have 17 of them 6 red and 2 black sexlinks and 9 white leghorns and are 19-20 wks. They have a 12x3x3 run attatched they are all very happy and have not had any picking and they have been in there for 3 months while we work on setting up their coop. As of recent 2 of my sexlinks started squatting for me and some of the leghorns are getting bigger and redder combs and wattles, ditto for the sexlinks as well and the have also been getting loud. Since the box has a 5gal feeder bucket in there for them i didnt think that putting a nesting box in there would be good as in it might make things to crowded. So i put a egglaying bucket out in their run with wood shavings. So my questions is it ok to have the egglaying bucket in the run rather in the box with them and also they keep picking out the shavings and trying to eat them and wont actually get into the bucket and i did put fake eggs in there and all they do is pick around and disregard them. Can someone please help me? [​IMG]

2. caralynnp

caralynnp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    my nest box is in the run and it has been a fine set up for me. I change the bedding more often because it is exposed to the elements. I use a milk crate with shavings.

3. NatureLove11

NatureLove11 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    ok then that works for me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by