1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this rooster a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kemclaughlin, Jun 15, 2011.

1. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I am fairly certain that he is, but he is not crowing. He was 12 weeks old on Monday. He's the EE behind the feeder... He is not my bravest chicken. He is only rarely showing any signs of willingness to protect the girls. But, I take it as a good sign that he is NEVER aggressive toward me or my kids.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The third picture is a few weeks old, but the fourth one shows the new coloring that has just shown up around his neck...

2. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    nice roo

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yes. Some don't crow until 5-6 months of age.

4. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Quote:Yay!! I am going to keep him until he crows. I really like him and even though I cannot keep him, I like having him around.

5. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    He sure looks like a he! He's very beautiful! Do you have any closer up pics of him so we could see his hackle and saddle feathers. He must be shy! But he's so pretty! [​IMG]

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    He is a good looking boy. He's got a big red comb and the dark, rich red coming in over the back, shoulders, and wings is a telltale sign of a roo. He should be starting to develop his pointy saddle and hackle feathers soon too.

7. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    Mrs. Cannon :

He sure looks like a he! He's very beautiful! Do you have any closer up pics of him so we could see his hackle and saddle feathers. He must be shy! But he's so pretty! [​IMG]

He is shy, but I will try to get a really good one. I like that he is shy, but not mean. I would rather have a bird that does not want to be held, then one that tries to kill me. He is so pretty!! He always has been, so I am interested to see how he turns out. The buttery yellow color in his hackles (?) is brand new. It has just shown up in the last several days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He is most definitely a rooster.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Aw, he's just a shy nerdy teenager working on his social skills and pickup lines.

The good news is that the girls will be crawling all over him when he aces MIT and gets a high powered computer job with a huge salary. YOu should talk to him about supporting you when you retire [​IMG]

10. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    He's really pretty! If my EE roo had been that pretty and shy, I might have kept him! But mine wasn't pretty, and anytime my bantams got out of the "bantam palace" (my LF birds free range) he bloodied every single one of them every single time! And I have 4 kids, so they get out pretty often! They're out right now. I gave up and told the kids to just leave the door open so they cam go to bed tonight. My roo was only about 10 weeks old when we got rid of him, and he was already that mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by