Is this rooster tracks? or hen pecking? PHOTO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Californichicken, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Californichicken

Californichicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    My silkie was taken by a hawk a few weeks ago and now my EE seems to be on the bottom of the pecking order. I'm not sure if this is other hens pecking at her or my rooster being too aggressive... a combination of both? It seemed to happen quickly although when she stands just so, her feathers nearly cover the bare area so perhaps I missed it yesterday, last night or this morning when I checked on them.
    I've got her seperated into their big brooder box and in the garage and I coated the bloody area with plain Neosporin. Should I blue kote it? Is keeping her seperated until her feathers grow in going to cause her more problems down the road?
    I just took this photo: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. arkansasborn21

arkansasborn21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    some of my hens have the same thing and I don't know what causes that but I put some in a pen by themselves and they started to grow there feathers back but I would also like to know what causes this good luck

3. Californichicken

Sep 14, 2009
    anyone? please?

4. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks lie you have a not so gentle rooster on your hands. They do seem to pick their favorites dont they? You could put a saddle on her back. THere are a lot of folks who use them to protect from an overaggressive rooster(s). TErri O

5. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Are there any wounds, or just missing feathers? You don't need the neosporin if there are no wounds- it will just make her messy. The pattern looks like damage from rooster feet. Hens damage isn't usually on the back- more head and neck if two hens are sparring, or vent/tail if you have cannibal birds. You can separate her for a few weeks until feathers start to grow back- but the rooster(s) will go after her again. You can get her an apron to protect her as well. Most flocks have a rooster 'favorite'. I tend to feel sorry for them in my flock, and will often give them to a friend with no roosters... They can get sunburned there in high summer, but usually it is more of a cosmetic problem than real health risk.

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Wouldn't lice or mites cause feather loss as well as roosters?

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Doesnt look bad to me. I would either seperate or buy a hen saddle that are sold in the everyting else for sale section on byc. or make you own :)
    Im sure there are other options too like blue kote i believe it called.
    Mark

8. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    Looks like she is the rooster's favorite. As long as there isn't a wound you have lots of options:

1. Leave her as is, chances are it won't get any worse

2. Trim the roo's spurs and see if that helps

3. Spray some Blue Kote on her bare spot for a little extra protection

4. Buy or make her a "saddle", just dust her with DE or poultry dust under the saddle occasionally

If a wound opens up or you see her getting pecked by the other hens then apply Blue Kote or Desitin (diaper rash ointment) to block germs and stop the pecking.

9. Californichicken

Sep 14, 2009
    thank you all so much! There were a few area that were bloody. I coated her with neosporin. I'm going to let her rest tonight in our old brooder. I got some Blue Kote and I'll do that tomorrow. I'm working on a saddle and will try that out tomorrow.
    I'm bummed that she's his favorite, she's my favorite too!

10. josebeth1

josebeth1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    Would certainly appreciate more opinions on this as we have 4 girls that are looking just like this also! It doesn't seem like picking since there's no scabbing, but in our case it can't be a rooster 'cause all we have are "the girls"! In addition to these girls with the same area bare and reddened, tonight I discovered one of the Orps has a 2" diameter round patch under her vent that is bare and within that area there is a penny-sized black & blue mark.
    Any more ideas, please????

Beth
    Crias del Cielo Alpaca Farm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by