Is this rumpless?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by faykokoWV, Sep 14, 2009.

1. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    [​IMG]

so I posted a while back asking what breeds are rumpless... but is it just me or does this BR look like she's missing her tail? This isn't just the camera angle either, she actually has no tail. Is this normal for a BR?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:I had an EE that i thought was going to be rumpless for the same reason........she eventually grew in the tail feathers. So i am thinking yours will too.

3. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I guess I should mention that this chick is 10 weeks old. How old was yours when her tail grew in?

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I had the same thing with an ameraucana. Like above poster eventually it grew in. People on here told me to feel her hiney and see if there was a tail . . . there was even though you couldn't see it!

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think i would have not felt her hiney and just waited to see what happened [​IMG]
    It would be my luck someone would see me and i would have to explain [​IMG]
    I dont remember the age of mine exactly, but it was about the same age as yours. I think you will soon start seeing sprouts trying to form a tail.
    That same EE loses her tail when she molts, and it seems to be the last to grow back, leaving her looking rumpless again.
    I cant wait to see if yours grows a tail too.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Well They Told Me To!!!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Rumpless birds are literally completely missing the entire tail, not just the tail feathers. Pick up a bird with a tail, go down to the base and you will feel a very hard bony lump. That's the "real tail" that tail feathers stick out of. Rumpless birds don't have this bony lump at all. On a rumpless bird you can literally feel where the spine abruptly ends without a bony lump.

That said, she does look like a true rumpless. It can sometimes just happen out of the blue.. or it can be introduced by mixing with other rumpless birds.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    see what I mean????

9. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Shouldn't that be "Feel what I mean??" [​IMG]

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Quote:[​IMG]

KEV is correct, but even with the missing anatomy a bird can still grow a few odd tail quills. I hope your bird stays rumpless, she looks neat being barred.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by