1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this sad little Silkie Molting? Or skin disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OffBeatBetty, Aug 20, 2013.

1. OffBeatBetty

OffBeatBetty Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Hello,
    I have a small flock of 6 chickens and recently acquired another silkie from an over-crowding situation. I took pity on "Olive" and now she is in my garage in quarantine away from the others. She looks rather "rough"... she is supposed to be 1-year old. She was broody when I got her and the lady said she was also molting... though I'm not so sure. I've checked her all over several times for mites, fleas, and lice and haven't seen anything. Her skin is just so exceedingly dry and flakey... especially on her head and neck. She barely has any feathers left in those places, and I read that molting starts in those areas, so maybe she really is molting. She is missing feathers on her lower chest, but that is from being broody (I assume). The rest of her body has feathers but they are quite ragged. She just looks so much different than my other silkies who are EXTREMELY fluffy and have huge top-hats and leg feathers. I have been rubbing bird skin salve on her that includes aloe, lanolin, and preen gland oil in hopes it will help her look and feel better. She is bright, alert, eats and drinks like normal, and seems quite happy other than looking unfortunate. Any advice on how to get
    her head fluffy again?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Parasites can make a chicken look dull and rough. I would worm her with Valbazen sheep and cattle wormer--1/8-1/4 ml by mouth and repeat in 10 days. Safegard Liquid goat wormer is a good second choice for worming--same dose. I'm a big fan of apple cider vinegar in the water, plain yogurt a couple of times a week, and giving some garlic or garlic powder in the food. She might also benefit from a bit of egg for some extra protein. I'll bet she looks better soon in your care.

3. OffBeatBetty

OffBeatBetty Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    Thank you for your reply! I went to the feed store today and they had Wazine 17 wormer to put in the water. I decided to go ahead and treat Olive and the rest of my flock (it couldn't hurt, especially since 3 of my girls are only a couple of months old and have never been wormed). I will follow up with Valbazen in a couple of weeks or so. I've been putting Bragg's cider vinegar in their water every few days since I got them, and they get plain greek yogurt as a treat once a week. Garlic is a good idea... I didn't know chickens liked it :) The feathers that Olive does have look a lot more shiny after I treated her with the skin/feather salve. Hopefully by treating her on the inside and out, she will be fluffy again soon! She certainly seems very happy to have room to roam and yummy things to eat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by