Is this sand ok for chicken run?

Apvu22

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2020
Arizona
So I decided to switch to sand and someone said to use medium grade sand so I decided to buy some at my local Home Depot. When I got home I put the sand in my run but it looks sort of smooth and I am afaraid I got the wrong sand. Here are pictures of the sand I used. It is the quick rite commercial grade medium sand 30 grit. They were also pecking at it I am scared I got the wrong sand and they will get impacted crop.

Attachments

• C57BA76D-BA2B-47C0-B7B1-2B5E9AAC0FB1.jpeg
    C57BA76D-BA2B-47C0-B7B1-2B5E9AAC0FB1.jpeg
    529 KB · Views: 89
  • 3AB5853D-7EA0-4184-9CCD-99817072F71E.jpeg
    3AB5853D-7EA0-4184-9CCD-99817072F71E.jpeg
    562.9 KB · Views: 43
That sand is too fine. You want to find sand that looks more like chicken grit. We could not find any coarser sand in our Home Depot or Lowes stores, but found it from a local bulk supplier of sand. Most bulk suppliers in our area have pictures of their sands on their websites and what you want is called construction or concrete sand in my area. I've also seen others post about river sand and that may be the same thing with a different name.

So I decided to switch to sand and someone said to use medium grade sand so I decided to buy some at my local Home Depot. When I got home I put the sand in my run but it looks sort of smooth and I am afaraid I got the wrong sand. Here are pictures of the sand I used. It is the quick rite commercial grade medium sand 30 grit. They were also pecking at it I am scared I got the wrong sand and they will get impacted crop.
I wouldn’t use sand if I were you! It’s a hazardous!!! Instead use wood shavings or dirt..

I'm surprised they actually list the grit size.
At least it's washed and dried and graded so no smaller pieces and/or dust.
But something more like 10 grit would be better.

Best move I ever did was fill in my muddy chicken yard with sand. It stays nice and dry and no smell. I work construction and have access to all types of left over materials and one being regular old fill sand thats dug up and piled at different sites.

I’m also switching to sand, I had mulch and with February being so cold I added too many bags of animal bedding and now it’s all mixed in the mulch . I would check out pea gravel , different names depending where you look. I am having some delivered since I am adding it around my fire pit and spots of my yard both to help with mud and wetness. Good luck!

The sand you have chosen isn't the best choice, I don't believe. This is a great article on sand, with pictures of what you want. I got my sand from our local gravel folks...I have a truck so just had them put a scoop in the bed and then took it to the coop/run with my wheelbarrow...it took a day or two :) Who needs a gym when you have chickens?! https://www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/sand-chicken-coop-bedding#safe

Back
Top Bottom