IS THIS SCALEY MITES?

Stepnout

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
This past Saturday I purchased 6 new pullets 16 weeks old. Two production Reds and 4 Azure Blues. One of the production Reds has some brown scales. This is only my second time have chickens and I’ve never seen scaley mites. Please have a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. I’ve covered her legs and 2 others with petroleum jelly just in case. The other 3 will be done by end of day.
Thanks

Attachments

• A0704613-A1CC-452E-B7BF-918F7EA1B6DE.jpeg
    A0704613-A1CC-452E-B7BF-918F7EA1B6DE.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Nope, SLM leaves yellow crusty stuff (mite poop) raising the scales from underneath.. those look like perfectly healthy scales... which do raise some to allow movement/bending at the ankle etc.

As hens age.. they may also lose some of the older scales to reveal fresh ones underneath. Age is always a consideration when looking at scale condition.

No, i see no evidence of leg mites on that chicken.
The brown areas are typical of reds.
Nope, SLM leaves yellow crusty stuff (mite poop) raising the scales from underneath.. those look like perfectly healthy scales... which do raise some to allow movement/bending at the ankle etc.

As hens age.. they may also lose some of the older scales to reveal fresh ones underneath. Age is always a consideration when looking at scale condition.

Thank you both very much.

Back
Top Bottom