Is this scaly leg mites and scaly face?

termeerchick

Songster
Sep 2, 2019
California
Hi!
The guy that used to live on our property moved about 3 weeks ago and left his 15 chickens for me to take care of (13 hens and 2 roosters). I have no idea how old they are or what breed, as I am fairly new at being a chicken mom. This morning I was finally able to catch one of the roosters. I wanted to check him over for mites/lice as I had a feeling they have them. Sure enough he has them. Anyways as I was holding him I noticed his legs looked scaly and dry. I researched scaly leg mites and I am almost positive he has it. I just wanted to double check with someone that will know for sure before I start treating it. Also I had no idea chickens could get face mites but quickly learned that while I was researching about the legs. Could you let me know what you think? I definitely think he has both face mites and scaly leg mites but again I want to make sure before I go putting medicine on him. Do you think the rest of the chickens have them? They are all pretty scared and I don’t think they have ever really been handled. Also what is the best way to cure it? I know that vaseline will work but I’m not sure I can catch all 15 chickens everyday and apply it. They are really scared. Is there anything else that will work? Also can humans get the lice or mites? I feel really itchy haha! If anyone has any input or information I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you to everyone who has already helped me with the other questions/concerns I have posted. I would be a wreck without you guys. ♥️

Oh one more question!!! I have to worm my original hens and was going to worms those guys also. I am going to worm them with the EQUIMAX (ivermectin 1.8%/praziquantel 14.03%)
Because I’ve seen tape worm segments in their poop. Anyways will the ivermectin in the wormer help get rid of the scaly leg mites?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Attachments

• 969F6949-1D8F-4E3E-BD43-59917EEA17D3.jpeg
    969F6949-1D8F-4E3E-BD43-59917EEA17D3.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 95
  • BC22A244-BD45-4A62-AA09-03D7C860B840.jpeg
    BC22A244-BD45-4A62-AA09-03D7C860B840.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 01BE0CDF-9F15-43A1-B06B-9B8356D6A2AD.jpeg
    01BE0CDF-9F15-43A1-B06B-9B8356D6A2AD.jpeg
    392.7 KB · Views: 68
  • DAA6DD37-A807-4D8F-8301-DAC9D8AFA6ED.jpeg
    DAA6DD37-A807-4D8F-8301-DAC9D8AFA6ED.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 3D9F33EF-B25C-4283-BABA-8A6148D3B021.jpeg
    3D9F33EF-B25C-4283-BABA-8A6148D3B021.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 64
I know that vaseline will work but I’m not sure I can catch all 15 chickens everyday and apply it. They are really scared. Is there anything else that will work
Treating birds after dark using a flashlight or headlamp and keeping things dim will eliminate all chasing and make it much easier for most flocks. Also makes it easier to make sure no one is missed.

Just looks like dry legs to me... SLM should have yellow growth coming out from under the scale. Also the legs would likely look irritated with terrible quality of feathers. :confused:

If you're sure it was tape worms and not just maggots, then yes I would treat everyone.

That one is a Silkie.

Yes, Ivermectin does treat SLM... not sure if the dosage will be right for it mixed with another drug. @casportpony may be able to give an exact answer here. I have never YET seen any bird with "face mites".

Poultry lice and mites can get on humans but they cannot actively live on them.

To really get a clue about external parasite load... inspecting after dark using a flashlight, part feathers below the vent and on the abdomen and look for things running away. Also take note if there are any "dirt clumps" stuck to the feather bases.

I can't see his spurs to get an estimate on age... older birds do get dry scales... they even come off and are replaced by new ones underneath. And the scales APPEAR to "lift" at places where bending happens cuz they have to make room for the other scales to fold during said bend.

Proper feed not diminished too far by treats can go a long way toward helping animals fight stuff off.

Very kind of you to do your best for this flock you've inherited! :hugs

That looks like minor scaly leg mite.
Ivermectin is still effective for scaly leg mite I believe but wont deal with some worms.
I can't tell from the pictures of the faces what mite if it is a mite, that is effecting the face.
I assume these chickens roost in a coop at night (?) The easiest way to treat for worms and mites is to take each chicken off the perch at night and dose direct to the beak.

Yes they roost in a coop at night. The only problem with that is that the guy made it himself and there is no real way to get in. It’s up off the ground or I would crawl in there little doorway. Also their roosts are high up in there so I wouldn’t be able to reach them either. It is attached to a run though and I was thinking of trying to catch them before I let them out to free range in the morning. It should be a real comedy show watching me “try” and catch them lol. I also was thinking of having my husband put a door on somehow because I am going to have to clean it up and get rid of the mites and lice that are in the coop.
A human door of some sort is indispensable really as you've discovered.
I have off ground coops with a large door at the back. You can try catching them as they come out in the morning but I think it will be a slow and stressful affair. A door should only take a couple of hours.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/shadrach’s-multi-coops.74344/

Someone will come along soon that has experience in treating these issues. I can't imagine catching 15 terrified chickens daily or 2xdaily to treat them. I'm going to suggest that you devise a hook on a pole to catch them with. You just hook one leg and they are immobilized till you can get them under your arm to treat them. Well, maybe flapping a little. I think @Beekissed and perhaps @Shadrach has experience doing this. Good luck! Sometimes free things can turn out to be very expensive.

And as far as his face, are those little red bumps normal?
They mite be just comb sprigs, but not being familiar with the bird, would be worth keeping an eye on and see if it is changing.

Yes, you have to make your own assessment on the SLM... to me it's about all the clues, not just a few dry scales. And when I took my suspect to the vet was told I did not have it. This is not the first time Shadrack has disagreed with me on this (or other subjects even). That's why we are here to share our experiences and learn from each other. Even when we have different opinions. :highfive:

I'm not sure about the red around his mouth. I can't see it super well, but it isn't what I would call normal. While some red can be peaking through the dark skin.. that looks like irritated feather follicles.

I prefer spray over dust as it's easier to get and keep ON the bird. But I would use the dust if I needed to. With the spray you make sure it hits the skin and just a small spritz with feathers parted below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the back of the head where it meets the neck since head lice will not travel to the body. Under $8, wetting a cotton swab if need to get closer to eyes and for chicks. Comes in many brand names and different concentrations. Not considered effective against SLM.
TE006407

Yes, have your hubs do a door for you asap. :thumbsup

It's important to note that IF it is SLM and you do successfully treat it, the scales may not change in appearance until they are shed off and replaced with new ones.

They mite be just comb sprigs, but not being familiar with the bird, would be worth keeping an eye on and see if it is changing.

Yes, you have to make your own assessment on the SLM... to me it's about all the clues, not just a few dry scales. And when I took my suspect to the vet was told I did not have it. This is not the first time Shadrack has disagreed with me on this (or other subjects even). That's why we are here to share our experiences and learn from each other. Even when we have different opinions. :highfive:

I'm not sure about the red around his mouth. I can't see it super well, but it isn't what I would call normal. While some red can be peaking through the dark skin.. that looks like irritated feather follicles.

I prefer spray over dust as it's easier to get and keep ON the bird. But I would use the dust if I needed to. With the spray you make sure it hits the skin and just a small spritz with feathers parted below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the back of the head where it meets the neck since head lice will not travel to the body. Under $8, wetting a cotton swab if need to get closer to eyes and for chicks. Comes in many brand names and different concentrations. Not considered effective against SLM.
TE006407

Yes, have your hubs do a door for you asap. :thumbsup

It's important to note that IF it is SLM and you do successfully treat it, the scales may not change in appearance until they are shed off and replaced with new ones.
Can't argue with that.:)

That looks like minor scaly leg mite.
Ivermectin is still effective for scaly leg mite I believe but wont deal with some worms.
I can't tell from the pictures of the faces what mite if it is a mite, that is effecting the face.
I assume these chickens roost in a coop at night (?) The easiest way to treat for worms and mites is to take each chicken off the perch at night and dose direct to the beak.
Yes they roost in a coop at night. The only problem with that is that the guy made it himself and there is no real way to get in. It’s up off the ground or I would crawl in there little doorway. Also their roosts are high up in there so I wouldn’t be able to reach them either. It is attached to a run though and I was thinking of trying to catch them before I let them out to free range in the morning. It should be a real comedy show watching me “try” and catch them lol. I also was thinking of having my husband put a door on somehow because I am going to have to clean it up and get rid of the mites and lice that are in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom