Is this scaly leg mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Mar 10, 2012.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    This is my BO Penny... I have been treating her legs with vaseline... are they gone or is this still a minor case of them?
    Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I dont think they look that bad. But I would continue to treat her for them.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    X2

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The scales are still lifted- yes that is scaly leg mite.

When I dealt with this a couple of times, what worked for me was to dip each leg in mineral oil (veg oil will work and so will vaseline) daily for TWO WEEKS. Toward the end of the two weeks I was doing it every other day.

Also grease up the comb and wattles, as the scaly leg mite does attack there sometimes.

Additionally, I would go ahead and treat (just in case other mites exist) your coop with permethrin spray diluted as per bottle or some other type of premises spray, clean out shavings and dust your chickens for other bugs with poultry dust.

Then repeat the tossing of the shavings, spraying the coop, and dusting the birds at 7-10 days to get the hatched out eggs of other mites if any exist. If you are dealing with lice too you might wish to google it but I believe the life cycle is two weeks so you repeat in two weeks.

Here is a nice link:
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/pesticides.html

another
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0019.html

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  5. JoyLou

JoyLou New Egg

May 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

This is my rooster...my only rooster. He's a Barred Rock. His feet are red and have been for a while, but
    I recently read about scaly leg and am wondering if he has it. I've been treating him with a liquid purchased
    at our Tractor Supply for scaly leg, but they're still red. Is this normal? I have 11 hens and none of their
    feet are red. Thanks.

6. arkansaschicks

arkansaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    little rock
    Put Vet Rx on the legs. That has worked for me.

7. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Sudocrem is great, quite messy but it stays on well and soothes and heals so will be especially good for red feet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by