Is this seller safe? A question for people in NSW

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Quacking Pigeon, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    So I may get some pigeons off this seller but I'm pretty sure a few years ago someone put an ad up on Gumtree about that the birds were sick. I'm still not getting any birds off him just in case.
    If anyone knows of this seller please tell me more about the the health and state of his pigeons, Thanks
    IMG_3153.jpg

2. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    Here’s a few photos of just some of his birds he has for sale. What’s your opinion? You don’t have to be from NSW to answer this. The first thing that worries me is that this seller has tons of birds. I’m pretty sure I went over at his place to get some ducks a while ago. Also another worry is the poo in the water and all the droppings on the ground.
    E32E5EBB-2226-4BDF-A356-C02C9586D885.jpeg 20A5F270-3959-4519-B08B-F82C2B018AB0.jpeg 3B48B7B7-7A1D-42A1-96DE-2E7EBD4BCEA0.jpeg 82147DCD-1C76-4D47-B2FC-41D437D7BBE8.jpeg C4D899E8-4E84-4C3D-B608-A5827FB80308.jpeg D5E2AB1C-6F1E-4470-885D-1BAA8B82D6AE.jpeg

3. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    The birds look okay from what I can see but you don't know what they might be carrying. On the plus side if he has a lot of healthy looking birds and none visibly ill he must be doing something right.(if you do bring some to your loft I think i would test/treat for coccidia as they may have immunity to strains your birds do not) I also don't think much of the owner's loft hygiene. :( Sounds like you are not confident about this seller, can you not find someone you feel better about?

What is it that makes you want to buy from this seller?

I'm planning to contact a local racing club and see if I can join just to be in contact with other fanciers in my area. That or the BYC thread for your local area might get you some recommendations.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/australians-where-are-you-all.186559/page-386
    ... Australian racing pigeon clubs.
    http://desmoore.tripod.com/id23.html
    Is it racing homers you have?

4. Thepigeonguy

Thepigeonguy Songster

Feb 20, 2018
    Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
    Birds are generally hard to tell if they are sick unless it’s very serious. I also don’t like those massive poop piles. And if you look at the water it’s kind of dyed green from crap? That is not a good sign for 1: poop in water and 2: Green poop.

5. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    No excuse for dirty water imo. I don't think i would buy from them.

cavemanrich and Quacking Pigeon like this.
  6. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    You all have good points.

The reason why I'm not confident with the seller is because of his loft hygiene and also he probably has 100 or so birds.

The reason why I'm interested in his birds is racers are hard to get because they sell out fast and he is the only one who has German homers close nearby.

If I join a local club I won't be able to purchase birds till around the end of the year or next year, because of the rota virus.

I might just hold off for a while till other people have some birds avaliable or just wait till the rota virus vaccine is out then purchase birds.

cavemanrich and biophiliac like this.
  7. Quacking Pigeon

Quacking Pigeon Crowing

Mar 12, 2018
    NSW, Australia
    My Coop
    So I’m not going to get any birds off this seller but instead get some birds from the seller I got my original pair off and my Serbian High flyer pair.

I plan that I might see if he has a Serbian High flyer male since my one got taken by a bird of prey and he and his mate never produced anything. And just a plain pair of blue bar pigeons not racers.

At least I know my birds are already immune to what his birds would have had.

Now I’m thinking my 2 of my fantails could have possibly died from something the Serbian High flyers had brought in. I kept the Serbian High flyers in quarantine though and my fantails had got sick before. I wonder if the fantails had Coccidia? After all, the fantails had bad diarrhea.

8. LamarshFish

LamarshFish Songster

Mar 26, 2015
    If you have a bad feeling about it, it is probably justified, and it is likely wise to not bother with the birds.

I would put your efforts into finding another source. You live in a large country. Try to network about in the race community if it is racing birds you are after.

Quacking Pigeon likes this.
  9. Crzytrkr

Crzytrkr Chirping

Apr 28, 2018
    I if the seller is close to you take a ride out too his place and see the condition of his place where he keeps his stock of birds if not check his site on line and see what people are saying in the comment section I personally would never buy any live stock with out giving the bird a complete once over check it's weight the clarity of the eyes the detail and check for discharge around cerel, beak, vent for wet or caked on guano if u can't get to him find a suppliers in your area it's the only way to play it safe.
    Good luck!!!
    Crzytrkr

Quacking Pigeon likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: