Is this severe molting or something much worse?

Frankiegirl

Crowing
May 3, 2020
SW Michigan
Hi all - I was wondering if you can kindly weigh in and let me know it this is mid winter molting or potentially something worse? The pins are bloody and she is very timid right now. There are also feathers missing on her tail as well as thin on other parts of her body. I cleaned her up and she was very docile with me. Just want to be sure I shouldn’t be doing anything else for her other than keeping my eye on her.

Just want to be sure 583E2EDA-9940-4C93-B4D9-693543D5CE5E.jpeg 583082CD-794C-4D7D-90E0-9970DEBD6383.jpeg 984B5B58-3B1A-4CDB-864F-5A67C0FA950B.jpeg

Your chicken is molting in the winter that is unusual.

You need to keep her separate from the flock. She will be a target for damage by your other chickens.

Molting chicken are very vulnerable and sensitive during this period.

I have 9 hens and she is always top 1-3. Those ladies jocky for the top roost spot and she is always in that spot.

She has become quite tentative and seems skittish. I’ve never had to separate but will if it makes most sense. My littles were getting hit last week. I will pay closer attention. I am horrified I didn’t notice this sooner.

That’s what I thought. I’ve read that sometimes that happens but she seems uncomfortable. Especially first thing in the morning when they come out of the coop and feed and water. Thanks for the comments.

Your chicken is molting in the winter that is unusual.

You need to keep her separate from the flock. She will be a target for damage by your other chickens.

Molting chicken are very vulnerable and sensitive during this period.
I have several who molt during winter.

For the OP: She is molting, which is normal. She is also getting bullied though. You might want to separate her for a while. Some chickens will peck at new growth. At the very least, wipe off the blood, since chickens are attracted to red.

Looks like moulting, you may have to lift her up on the roost each night depending on how bad her wings are. moulting is uncomfortable so she may not want to run around as much.

Back
Top Bottom