Is this sex-linking?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 92Pony, Mar 21, 2012.

1. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    I was just surfing the forums, and came across a thread about sex linking. It got me wondering about some chicks I just hatched.

I just recently hatched out 4 chicks from two different BR hens. Two of the chicks had an EE father. The other two had a roo-dad that was a cross of the aforementioned EE roo and an unknown hen. (confused yet?)

Two turned out solid black with "fluffy faces" - Product of the EE dad, I presume.

Two turned out black, no fluffy faces, and with a white dot/patch on their heads - product of the other roo (with some EE in him)

Are those white patches sex link marks?

One of each pictured;

White patch

[​IMG]

Fluffy face

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    If neither one of the roosters were barred, then yes these are black sex link chicks. The two with the white dots are boys and will grow up to be barred. The two solid black ones are girls and will grow up to be mostly black with some color leakage on the hackles.

3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Cute, chicks.

Hatch more and watch them grow wup and see if dotted headed ones are all roos and all solid ones are pullets.

4. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    (Neither roo was barred) That's awesome! And yes, they are EXTREMELY cute, if I may say so myself. [​IMG] I have about 1/2 doz more eggs from the BR hen (fertilized by the EE roo) in the bator now, so I'll be watching these grow as well as hopefully more to come.

Thanks!

Wade

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by