is this silkie a hen or roo ??

daphneysmamma

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 30, 2013
erwin , NC
I was told hen and that she is 1 yr old.. but she has a lot of pin feathers ( I guess that's what u call the ones still in little tubes) so shes either young or molting ?? then someone said on here they think she may be a he ... its hard to tell with silkies to me .. so please help me out you guys.. hen or roo.. and if it is a roo isn't its comb wrong ??

great. so shes not even a purebred silkie? I still like her she is sweet, but I know I def cant show her .. im gonna start researching BEFORE I buy a bird.lol..

Sometimes hatchery birds show up with the wrong comb, it doesn't mean she's not purebred, but it is probably a disqualification for showing. If you plan to show, it's a good idea to research the breed you're looking at, and buy a copy of the Standard of Perfection and have an idea what your breed is supposed to look like. It's easy to get a bird with the wrong comb, or wrong color legs, things like that.

Sometimes hatchery birds show up with the wrong comb, it doesn't mean she's not purebred, but it is probably a disqualification for showing. If you plan to show, it's a good idea to research the breed you're looking at, and buy a copy of the Standard of Perfection and have an idea what your breed is supposed to look like. It's easy to get a bird with the wrong comb, or wrong color legs, things like that.

do I just buy the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection book ( the newest I see is 2010) does it have the big chickens and the little chickens or is it separate..

Back
Top Bottom