Is this silkie a red, partridge or just a dark buff?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BBK, Sep 15, 2009.

1. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it a pullet, also? awfully BIG comb and reddish...not good. But I see the coloring on the comb is pretty common, at least the pics I keep seeing on BYC.

What is the correct coloring for a buff? Lighter? No streaking of darker color?
    Melinda

2. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    I forgot to say that I fed the Silkies watermelon the other day and that's what making their tops slick back. I see they all have that look, kinda like Elvis....[​IMG]

melinda

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think buff..but i'm no expert by any means. Cute bird!! Love the hair doo... [​IMG]

4. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    In colour it's a poor Buff, but it is not a pure bred Silkie with that red comb
    David

5. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    Thats a buff..that raspberry colored comb is what you see on most buffs..even in shows..I dont know why ..but they seem to accept that color comb in a buff.

6. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Buff roo would be my guess (just going by the comb - it's pretty big, but then again, I'm by no means a silkie expert [​IMG]). I'd also say that he is all silkie too... On a different colored silkie you'd want a dark colored comb, not red.

7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Yes, that's a buff roo.

Seeing black in buffs in pretty common and what breeders work very hard to get out. It takes time and careful breeding to remove it.

And as stated that comb color is pretty common with them. At least it doesn't clash with the buff color.

8. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    So, you all think it's it's a roo too??? Oh man... [​IMG].

So not a good bird either... hum... maybe he's going to the tailgate/sale too then, b/c that means i have 3 roos instead of 2, which I was becoming ok with... but NOT 3 of'em.

Melinda

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I would consider that red. The buffs I have seen are a very light, pastel shade. And, yes, it is a roo.

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    That's a buff, probably male, with smut - that darker black gray. That color comb you will see at shows in buffs.

No, that color comb doesn't make it a mixed breed. In another color that light a comb is more of a fault but STILL doesn't indicate a mixed breed.

Watermelon may make slicked back birds - but it doesn't make the comb that size, or the darker streamers beginning on that birds head.

Buffs come in varying shades, from pale to almost red. Because buff is a color of several possible genetic origins there is no "one" buff color.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by