Is this silkie chick a light blue..update..NO..it's a splash...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hoping so! It's 2 weeks old so please excuse the beginning adolescence look. No...it's wing isn't really split like that ! [​IMG]

The egg was labeled "blue" when it arrived. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009
  2. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Looks like what my splash looked like at that age...

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I hatched six splash chicks a few months ago and they all had identifiable spots on them as soon as they were dry. I don't see any different colored feathers on this chick at this time...but my jury is still out on that. The dark color coming through on this chick is it's black skin.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    That looks like a splash to me also.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm no expert but I'm with you gator I don't see splash, just dark skin.
    I hatched my first blue about 7 weeks ago and it was a lot more "grey" looking than this one right from the beginning, but maybe this will be a pretty light blue?
    What do the lavenders look like when they are small? I haven't seen one but this would be my inexperienced guess.

6. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Someone had one on craigslist like that for $10, and it sold within an hour. Its a splash from what the ad said and what your chick looks like.
    [​IMG]

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I hatched a lavender and could barely tell it from thw pure white in the beginning. It had a "dusty" color.

8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Could it simply be white? The dark skin gives an illusion of an odd color, but what do the feathers look like in bright sunlight? I hate cameras for that reason... They never show the color properly. Mine usually get washed out [​IMG] If it was marked blue, I would hope it isn't white!

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The splash silkies are that color when babies, and the splash coloring appears and increases as they get older.

10. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:That's what I was thinking, but the OP said their splash chicks had spots when they first hatched, so I figured I was incorrect on that [​IMG] I know as my splash silkie got older, her splash markings became more and more prominent, but I only got her when she was about a month or so old, so don't know exactly what she looked like as a chick.

On another note, my splash Ameraucanas hatched out completely white, and now have very nice splash markings [​IMG] When I first saw them I thought, "well, that figures", but they have changed immensely over just a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by