Is this Silkie chick blue or splash or...?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Yoshii, May 9, 2009.

1. Yoshii

Yoshii Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all! Just got my first Ideal order in today, which included a number of silkies! Now, most were immediately identifiable; I ordered two white, two BBS, two partridge, and two gray. The partridge and gray are the obviously chipmunky ones (though I'll be derned if I can really tell the two apart, aside from if I look REALLY CLOSE what I assume are the partridge have a sliiightly red cast), and the blue is... blue xD, and the two whites are whitish-yellow with a REALLY faint buff tint on places.

That leaves this little fella. He must be the other BBS chick, but he's just SO PALE. I'd think he were white if both of the other two white chicks didn't have the pale yellow/buff cast. He's more a pure white with a little silver cast to him. So, do I have a remarkably pale blue, a splash, or something else? Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is one of the white chicks, so you can see the yellow cast I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

2. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    i would say it is a blue

you are so liucky i got to wait a week before i get my baby silkies cant wait [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I say it will turn out white.

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:I agree, White!!

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    i second white, im pretty sure it would be grey if it was a blue, and splash would have some more color?

Its adorable though! I'd smuggle it home any day [​IMG]

6. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I agree, I think it will be white. [​IMG]

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    White I hatched out a couple just like that...that are feathering in white now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Yoshii

Yoshii Chillin' With My Peeps

White, huh? Well then! I learned something today xD! Looks like Ideal left a BBS silkie out, then ^^;.

Is there any particular reason the other two whites have the buff cast on them, and this one doesn't?

9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    The splash ones look white or yellowish and eventually get some grey to their wings when they start feathering out.

So could have either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by