Is this Silkie meant to have this comb???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tartannik, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Tartannik

Tartannik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Ok, don't know if this is in the right place but wasn't really sure!!

I was helping my friend TRY [​IMG] to sex her silkies yesterday as we need a boy to pair with a girl for my other friend.

Anyway, I was taking pics of them all and came across this wee guy (is he a guy???) Is his comb meant to be like this?? I thought all silkies had rose combs?? I am learning so many new things about silkies everyday that I of course could be completely wrong about this [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, here are another two black ones, are they hens or roo's?? Not great pics as it was quite a dark day yesterday!! I am hoping we have chosen the right one to take with me!!

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

Chick 2
    [​IMG]

I shall tell you afterwards what one we have chosen as the boy, I really hope we got it right!!!!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  2. reesepoultry

reesepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2009
    They are all roosters. The white one doesn't have the correct comb. It should be shaped like a walnut and be mulberry in color.

The 2 black ones are considered non bearded. Hope this helps.

Black chick #1 could possible be a hen.... hard to tell in pic. If it is a roo, it would have been the best looking one.[​IMG]

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    one is definately a boy and the single comb is wrong. two could be a hen I like her the best. I think 3 is a roo how old is he ?

4. Tartannik

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    The two black ones are roughly 20 weeks!

I didn't think the whites comb was the right one lol!!

5. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    first one has the same comb as my silkie roo

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Definately the white silkie has the wrong comb - lol. Looks really funky to me [​IMG]

Anyway #1 - Roo

Blacks

#1 - I say hen...nice round crest and don't really see any streamers but the picture isn't the greatest to see detail [​IMG]
    #2 - I say Roo looks to be developing streamers

So which did you guys take?

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I've never seen a Silkie with that kind of comb! If you breed that rooster will the chicks have single combs aswell?

8. Tartannik

Mar 21, 2009
    Wet Argyll, Scotland
    Quote:I don't know but I doubt my friend will breed from him with the wrong kind of comb!

Definately the white silkie has the wrong comb - lol. Looks really funky to me wink

Anyway #1 - Roo

Blacks

#1 - I say hen...nice round crest and don't really see any streamers but the picture isn't the greatest to see detail wink
    #2 - I say Roo looks to be developing streamers

So which did you guys take?

I think it might of been the hen!! [​IMG] chick #1 it was the chick with the bluest ears and bigger wattles lol!​

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That's the wrong comb for a silky(the white one), tho I've never like the walnut combs anyway. The first black one looks like a pullet and is gorgeous. I'd say the other black is a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by