Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

rowrena

Chirping
Mar 2, 2017
Oregon
This silver laced wyandotte has always been a little bigger than the others from day one, and a bit bossy. She? is about 4 weeks old, and different than the other 3 chicks. I have a black sex linked, a golden sex linked, and a buff orpington chick in with her. The others all have similar looking yellow combs and their feathers look similar. The SLW's comb looks like an upside down V (last pic) , and is grey and pink, and smallish bumps. Hackle feathers are coming in long. Tail feathers look different, kind of rounded?.... not straight like the others. Worried I may have ended up with a roo.

Pics:

You are seeing a rose comb on your SLW. As for gender, It may be a roo. those saddle and hackle feathers are difficult b/c the black center of them may be a bit deceiving, and make the feather look pointed while the white edging actually rounds them out. It's too early for me to guess based on your photo.

You are seeing a rose comb on your SLW. As for gender, It may be a roo. those saddle and hackle feathers are difficult b/c the black center of them may be a bit deceiving, and make the feather look pointed while the white edging actually rounds them out. It's too early for me to guess based on your photo.

The difference in comb structure is due to being different comb types which vary from one breed to another, this might help you understand the different types you might see as you venture further into the poultry world:

As noted above, the structure of laced feathering often makes for deceptive appearance in the developing hackle feathers and, at 4 weeks, the difference between male and female feathering in the saddle/hackle are not yet present (they develop around 10-16 weeks depending on bird).

I would suggest posting more photos when the bird is 6-8 weeks of age.

Thanks for your replies. I'm new, so a bit overwhelmed by all the information out there. I had read there were many different comb types, but I really appreciate the illustration! I'll post pics again later if she still seems questionable.

I've learned that when they are super young get them around the same age. The females grow their wing feathers faster than The roosters do. Also pick "her" up and you will feel a bone towards it's butt. If you feel that you can somewhat put your finger between the bone than it's a female if it seems like it's one bone it's a rooster. I hope this helps! :)

Back
Top Bottom