Is this Silver Laced Wyandotte a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by libertyfarms, May 12, 2016.

1. libertyfarms

libertyfarms New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    With such a dramatic difference in Comb/Waddle... I just figure that I've got a pair, instead of two Hens... Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You have a pullet and a cockerel.

3. libertyfarms

libertyfarms New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Yeah? AWESOME! I was hoping for at least one Rooster...

Thanks!

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    One cockerel, and one pullet, but are pretty poorly colored though. The cockerel isn't even laced. He's penciled.

5. libertyfarms

libertyfarms New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Really?? I'm new to this... Get these from Cal Ranch... Should they already be showing the Lacing? They're only about 9 weeks old...

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Lacing shows at this age but improves with adult plumage which comes in late teens (weeks). You can tell how well they will finish out at this age with experience of breed.

The thing about your cockerel is it looks to have a single comb. I can't say if it's Wyandotte or other breed. If you breed the two you'll be dealing with that for years. Rose is dominant to single comb so all offspring will show rose. In next generation 1/4 will show single and half of them will be carriers of single comb gene. Whenever two recessive get together that trait expresses. It will be years to weed out the single comb.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The off coloring on the cockerel, his single comb, and the pullet's poor lacing are all pretty common for hatchery sourced birds. Hatcheries breed for quantity, with no regard to meeting breed standard. If you were wanting the stunning coloring of show quality birds, you need to go to a breeder.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    SLWs are easy to see the sex differences from five or six week on. You definitely have a male and female, the upper one being a cockerel to clarify.

When I got my first Wyandottes seven years ago, I was so disappointed when around eight weeks, the lacing was so, well, blah. I was really feeling gypped. Later, I got a GLW and she was really slow in developing lacing. That was when I discovered BYC and asked if anyone else had a pullet of that age that looked like mine.

Here are my two "slow lacers", seven years later. [​IMG]

9. ENor70

ENor70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    @libertyfarms - I've 6 SLW's that are approximately seven weeks and look very similar to yours (minus the single comb). They are, thus far, nice birds. Not very pretty yet, but I'm hoping they turn out like @azygous 's. Azygous those are beautiful birds!

10. libertyfarms

libertyfarms New Egg

Mar 16, 2016
    Wow... Thank you all for all the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by