Is this something to be worried about?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by M To The Maxx, Jan 9, 2010.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Some days I notice that Alex my BR hen has white legs. Some days they turn back to yellow. Is this something to be worried about? Could they just be bleached some how? I know she is not Cuckoo Maran because she does not lay a chocolate egg. She shows no signs of illness. She eats and drinks well. This has been occuring for a good few months now.
    Pic with white legs:
    [​IMG]

Pic with yellow legs:
    [​IMG]

2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    In the contest do ya want me to judge her with yellow or white legs? [​IMG] Just Kidding

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Maybe when she is cold they look lighter?? I had a barred rock hens like that, sometimes I thought she had white legs, sometimes yellow - thought it was just me. Now there are two of us.

4. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Could be but this started happening before the winter months. Started around summer time.

5. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Poor circulation? Mine was 3 yrs old and older when I noticed it.

6. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    my White rock had whitish legs at the poultry show she was in. Some people told me that it had to do with the yolks of her eggs?
    Something to do with that.
    Not really sure, can't remember..but it didnt seem to be anything to worry about.

When she was molting and not laying eggs.. her legs were more yellow than they are now that she is laying again,

7. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Do you mean of blood?

8. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I googled it a little.. some said that during their laying years, they loose the yellow pigment in their legs...

9. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, of blood, but it was just a wild guess. I never noticed any illness in my hen and she still laid well enough.

10. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are laying there is a general loss of pigment. I starts in their legs? (maybe) I cant remember but it has a definite pattern to it. That is one way that you can tell if a hen is not laying for culling purposes. Among them is a red comb, distance between pelvic bones, leg color and ear color. The yolk takes up the pigment as they lay. Terri O in WI

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by