Is this sour crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MangerSainFarms, Dec 4, 2014.

1. MangerSainFarms

MangerSainFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    I have a chick that's 4-5 weeks old. Today I noticed she seemed somewhat lethargic. So I picked her up and put her by the food and water. Immediately she began to drink like a mad woman. When I went back to check on her she had clear fluid coming out her beak but it has more of a snot consistency. It doesn't smell. Her crop feels like it's all liquid. I moved her into the house to watch her closer and she is just standing still with eyes closed. Pick her up and same fluid comes out. And she squaks. Any help is appreciated.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    While sour crop could possibly be a problem, I would first get Corid (amprollium) and start treatment in her water for possible coccidiosis, since that is very common at 5 weeks. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, standing puffed up, ruffled feathers, diarrhea (with or without blood,) and poor appetite. Some birds will have a slow emptying full and squishy crop from cocci. I would also watch in case she may have a respiratory disease if the thick fluid could be nasal mucus. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5-7 days. After Corid treatment, a vitamin and probiotic should be given for several days.

3. MangerSainFarms

MangerSainFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Louisiana
    Thanks eggcessive. I started her on corid and also on diflucan. She seems almost 100% today. I also have been adding poly vi sol to the water as well as save a chick probiotic. Hope I'm not over doing it

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    PolyVisol is better given 2-3 drops per day orally to the chicken, not mixed in water. I probably wouldn't mix anything in the Corid water, and change it daily. Many people say that their chicks will tend to have a slow moving full crop when they have coccidiosis. They may spit up easily if the crop is accidentally pressed or massaged, and can aspirate easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by