Is THIS splay leg? (PICS)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poulets De Cajun, May 3, 2009.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I only ask because I haven't dealt with it much. However this chick is having a hard time with this particular leg. It can walk, and get around just fine, but it holds it out straight. It can bend it because when it lays down it bends it just fine, but when its standing it holds it straight out. Now this is a new development today, it wasn't like this after hatch on Friday evening, or all day yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for comparison, here is the same chick after hatching... Its not doing it in this pic.

[​IMG]

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I don't know about splayed leg, but your chick has the same expression I saw on Lindsay Lohan after a long night out!

On a serious note, the foot and toe esp, seems to be more turned under in pic 2 than pic 3. Maybe that has something to do with the way it's carrying the leg now.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

He keeps the toe out when he's on the shavings though. I think one of the bigger chicks may have injured him....

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    One of my recently hatched quail did that - kinda slid one leg out to the side just a bit. I just kept my eye on it for a day or 2, but it got more pronounced as time went on until it really started lurching around the brooder. I went ahead and did the band-aid thing and figured I had a mild case of spraddle leg. Seemed to help.

5. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I have seen where someone used pipe cleaner instead of a bandaid, since your chick is feather legged you may want to try that. Good luck.

6. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    Looks like curled toes? maybe try a boot on it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by