Is this splayed leg on my new poult? Photos!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by GJ_Kate, Apr 1, 2011.

1. GJ_Kate

GJ_Kate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    This poult hatched on Wednesday afternoon. He was really weak and not sure on his feet, but we just figured he needed a little more time so we left him in the bator until the next morning. He hatched about 4:30pm and was put in the brooder with two other poults (only about 2 days older) by 7am the next morning.
    He can't stay on his feet for very long. He falls over and lands on his back and can't get off his back. Then when he walks, he's all wobbly.
    Is this splayed leg? Do I need to put him down? [​IMG] Are there any fixes? [​IMG]

When he gets like this on his back, he can't get back up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Awwwwwwwwwwww, poor baby. I'm not sure if it's splayed leg but if it is, there is something that you can do for this little guy. Is that him in all 3 pics?

3. GJ_Kate

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Those are all of him, taken all just tonight.

4. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    He is weak turkey baby. He needs sugar and little bit of salt added to water and frequent drinks. Boil some egg and put bite of it in his beak toward back so he swallows it. He needs special care. Wrap him in wash rag tight so he can't fall over and he will come out of it. It isn't splayed leg but will get splayed legs if you don't wrap him up

5. GJ_Kate

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Do I wrap him up and just hold on to him or wrap him and tape it and set him back in the brooder. There are just 2 other poults in there and they don't seem to be picking on him.
    Also (sorry about all the questions) the boiled egg, just the yolk? I have been (and my mom during the day) been giving him sugar water. I'll add some salt to it too.

Thanks everyone for you help! You guys are awesome!!!

6. Kekko

Kekko Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Western IDAHO
    Not quite sure what it is called (FOS) Flip Over Syndrome or something like that! I had a poulet a couple of years ago that would do this! He too was a week little guy out of one of the first eggs of the year. I put him in a small box inside the brooder and packed paper towles around him so he could not filp over!. I made sure he had food & water four about four days. In about four days he climbed out of the box on his own and grew into a nice Tom! We did butcher him for Thanksgiving as we didn't want to breed anthing that had problems back into the flock. I'm still thinking it was just because it was one of the first eggs of the year small egg, small weak poulet!

I just wouldn't chance using it to breed later on. Just in case!

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How is the little guy doing?

8. GJ_Kate

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Well I wrapped him up in a washcloth and propped him up in a corner of the brooder. The other two poults didn't seem to mind, they checked out the cloth, but didn't pick on him that I saw. I gave him scrambled yolk last night and sugar/salt water both of which I had to force him to eat. Then I checked up on him at 1:30am and he had gotten free. I wrapped him back up and fed him both things again except this time he ate more willingly. This morning I came down and he was again out of the cloth but back on his back. I wrapped him and he ate the yolk eagerly, but didn't want to drink. He's back in there asleep in the corner.
    I hope he pulls outta this.
    And I totally agree, he will NOT be breed!
    Thanks again everyone and I'll try to post a picture a little later. (going back to bed, its the weekend!)

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Glad to hear that he is doing good. I found my post from last year June 2010 and some of my poults had F.O.S. (flip over syndrome) and all of them survived and are doing GREAT! I did not lose any to this. Please read my thread below. It can be done. This little guy can make it. Please read what I did to form the towel so that they cannot get out of the towel. I never had a problem with any of them getting out of the towel. You must keep him hydrated. You need a dropper to get water in him.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352474&p=1

10. GJ_Kate

Feb 27, 2011
    Grand Junction
    Kuntrygirl, thanks for the link. I read it and will also go get an eyedropper but he seems to be eating and drinking well when I put it to him. Here's a picture of my new and improved turkey poult NICU. I still have the other 2 poults in there, but they'll be moving to the stock tank in the garage today. Going to Murdochs and then another feed store first, then will make the switch.

[​IMG]

Here's my other two poults that are 5 days old today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by