Is this splayed leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cackleberrylinda, Jul 12, 2010.

1. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    I have a chick I have been nursing for weeks. At first I had to dip her beak in water and very watery feed to keep her alive. She is fairing well if you don't consider that she can't stand up and her legs stick straight out in front of her. So she usually is on her side with her head curled up. But she keeps trying to get up. And lately she is lifting her head up and trying to stand up. If I am not mistaken it seems she is gaining a little ground. I have been doing a little Physical Therapy with her. Then I read on a link from here to do just that. She is about 2 mos old I think. She was ailing along with everyone else that had coccidiosis symptoms. I just wonder if anyone else has had good results getting a chicken this age back up on their feet. She has a Brooder Mate sister that takes care of her and it is so belovedly wonderful. She makes sure her sister gets to eat and gets back in her bed. My heart is warmed by these two all day. I take them out to eat about 4 times a day. It's Pooter (healthy one) and Angel (Little Bit damaged one).

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    How old was she when her leg problems started? What else in her environment or health might have changed at that time? What kind of flooring was she living on?
    Hopefully people here can help you figure out as get more info.
    I'm sorry you're facing hard problems with your chicken! [​IMG]

3. cackleberrylinda

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    She was only about 3 weeks old when this hit. Her bedding was the good kind shavings, I can't remember which tree it's from but I know it is the approved kind for baby chicks. All my chicks were being affected by coccidiosis. They were / are eating medicated Start and Grow. I started giving everyone added Corid. I talked with the county extension Avian Lab and the Doctor there recommended I stop the Corid because that is the medication in the feed. And obviously this was a strain that was resistant. I lost six chicks to the plague that swept thru here but managed to catch this little ameracauna before she passed over but not without some residual effects. Not sure it was from the illness but she was healthier than heck one day and fell droopy the next just like all the others. Now, she has this inability to stand up. So, I wonder if I do all the things like Ihave seen here, like make her a ... basically a baby walker chair and something where she can relearn to walk, do you think she can make a come back? Has anyone had a chick 2-3 months old with this prob ever become a member of the flock again? I will try anyway, but I just wonder what the odds are.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Marek's disease can cause symptoms of one or both legs sticking straight out, I'm thinking. You can use 'Search' function to find more info on that here on BYC.

Some of the info on the web page linked in my signature line below may be helpful in treating your chick too so it might be worth a look.
    Best wishes!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  5. roosterdog

roosterdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Throckmorton
    Quote:I HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN CORRECTING SPLAY LEGS IN SMALL PARROTS BY USING THE (CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME) SPLINT MATERIAL THAT VETS USE. OR YOU CAN USE OLD FASHION PIPE CLEANERS AND MAKE A BRACE LOOPED AROUND EACH OF THE CHICKEN'S FEET. THIS KEEPS THE FEET IN PROPER POSTION AND THEY CAN STILL WALK(HOBBLE) AROUND. JUST LEAVE ENOUGH SPACE WITH THE PIPE CLEANER SO THEY CAN WALK. IT IS A LONG PROCESS............GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. cackleberrylinda

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    Thank you Speckled Hills. I have looked at your pages a lot. I am working on concocting something for her. I think if anyone can, she just might make it to be an upright chicken, I've come to love her what with the time I spend holding her while she eats. Her and her sister. So, one way or another I will figure out something for them. You are very kind to post such good help and provide the site with the orthopedic aids. We do love our birds don't we?

7. cackleberrylinda

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    Thank you RoosterDog. Funny name. I'd love to know the story. I am trying to get the concept of the pipe cleaners and I sorta do. Like a brace, but if she can't stay erect how does the pipe cleaners help her stay up? I guess the only way to find out is to try it. What she needs is those dual bars that people use when they are trying to relearn how to walk. I saw that on a site where the chick is limited by a narrow hallway of boxes to navigate. This is a challenge to figure out. Cheering us all on as we care for our feathered pals. Thank you for the help... So kind

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by