Is this splayed leg?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by guinea fowl galore, Nov 17, 2011.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I have a chick that has its left leg that stick out to one side. It had curled toes so i've put bandaids on its feet. Could this maybe be causing it? It is being brooded on newspaper with shelf liner on top.
    So is this something that it will get over or is it splayed leg?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yes that is splayed leg. You can't keep newborn chicks on a slick surface, because without traction, they'll develop this condition. I would urge you to add some sort of bedding immediately so this doesn't worsen. Newspaper is too slick for them to stand on.

Additionally, you will want to create a hobble (you can do this with bandaides) to hold the legs parallel to each other. Your chick won't be very graceful, but it should correct the condition within a week.

Good luck!

3. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
  4. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    does this look ok?

[​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Oh goodness me, the expression on his face gave me quite a laugh [​IMG] That is one confused chick.

Yes that looks perfect. He should be able to hop around once his leg starts straightening up. Don't get disconcerted if he spends a day on his belly giving you a dirty look for the hobble.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by