Is this split wing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've been contemplating whether or not to keep this boy as a back up rooster, but someone mentioned he may have split wing? From what I've read, it's a recessive genetic fault that is very difficult to get rid of once you breed it. If he does have split wing, he's gone for sure. I haven't gone out yet to spread his wings and look for a gap. One of his primaries looks like it's coming from the covert area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:u have open the wing to tell the have split wing he might jut be multing

3. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Forgot to add - he's 33 weeks old.

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It was still dark out, so this picture is taken with a flash - looks to me like what I've seen described as split wing.

Right wing:
    [​IMG]

Left wing:
    [​IMG]

5. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Yes, that is a split wing. Just like any other defect, something to breed away from.

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Kelly~ I am no expert but this is what the wings of a bird that I had and my buddy Snowbird confirmed it was split wing, but do not go in my word....I hope more folks come by and advise or give their opinions. Oh and yes when test mated the bird that I had did pass this on to his offspring and it showed very early on in the chicks.

7. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Well, you dont have to believe me, here is the wing of a ko Shamo, part of their heritage is a split wing.
    [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Thanks guys for the confirmation. And a HUGE thank you to Wynette for saving me a ton of trouble and bringing this to my attention.

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

I'm just sorry that you were able to confirm it, Kelly. Sigh. At least you know now, and you DO have a better one to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by