Is This Spraddle Leg? Chick Is 6 Days Old, Too Late To Correct?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2GigglyGirls, Jan 12, 2013.

1. 2GigglyGirls

2GigglyGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    We found a baby chick in our hen house: no zipping, just one leg hanging out. Baby finally got out, but the chick's whole body is just askew. She is 6 days old and smaller than the other two (one hatched the same day, the other two days later). She gets around on non-slick surfaces pretty good and eats like a champ (we did feed her with a syringe at first). Is this the Spraddle Leg like I've seen here or something different? This is our first baby chick and such a fighter... I want to do all I can to give her the best chances at life![​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

From the pic it looks like the chick's body isn't in line/symmetrical or something...but I am no expert.

If it were my chick I'd just try the treatment for spraddle leg (see link) to see if it helped the stance. I am not sure if it will help. I have read that you only have a few days to correct it so I'd do it right away if you want to experiment with treatment.

You need to get the chick's legs closer together, I have read. I haven't treated this myself so I am going on what I have read.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html
    another site

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  3. 2GigglyGirls

2GigglyGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2013
    We went ahead and taped her legs... she's finally used to it. No, her whole body is off, one wing is almost on top of her back and she turns to the left.. but she has straightened out so much and every day has improved that we just want to do all we can to help her as we can. She'll be pampered no matter what, LOL!

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Looks like a condition called kinky back or could perhaps be a slipped tendon. For the first unfortunately there is no cure. For the second you could try adding vitamins to its drinking water, as slipped tendon is caused by a deficiency of magnesium and/or one of several B vitamins. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by