Is this spraddle leg? Very stressed here...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by micheleomal, Feb 28, 2015.

1. micheleomal

micheleomal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    [​IMG]This chick was born yesterday morning. I doesn't seem to be able to stand. The legs aren't splayed way out but the chick sits back on it's knees? and holds it's wings out. Another chick in this batch of shipped eggs hatched last night and seems to have it's toes curled. That one is not real strong. Is this spraddle leg? I went ahead and put as ace bandage between the legs as instructed on various sites but how long does it stay on and could this be something else.
    Also, I was away from the house for 4 hrs today and the incubator was 100 when I left and 104 when I got back. I've never had it happen before and I have over a dozen eggs on lockdown in there. Did I just cook them? I opened the bator and got it cooled down fast, back to 100 UGH! This hatching thing is SO STRESSFUL![​IMG]. Please help!

[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Have you read the threads on correcting spraddle legs and curled toes? A lot of good advice. I wish you the best.

3. micheleomal

micheleomal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    I have read the threads. They show the chicks standing up with their little hobbles. My chick won't stand. It sits back on its butt with it's wings out for balance and feet more in front than on the sides. I can't get it to stretch it's legs to stand. Other than that it seems like a strong healthy chick. The one with the curled feet now has sandles on and has better balance than the stronger one.
    Any ideas on whether I cooked the eggs? This is my first hatching experience and of course I had to start off with expensive eggs and staggered hatches. I have learned a lot from just the first batch to hatch. I was really hoping the following ones would benefit from my errors with the first 9 eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by